- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Wednesday 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Wednesday 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Wednesday 8:58 AM
Witnesses allege the crowd asked Jenner about her genitals.
Caitlyn Jenner has remained a controversial figure both inside and outside the LGBTQ community over the past few years. But LGBTQ advocates are upset after paparazzi sexually harassed her while leaving an LGBTQ award ceremony in London.
On May 12, the former Olympian-cum-reality star attended the British LGBT Awards, receiving the “Loud and Proud” award as a transgender woman speaking in the public eye. But as she left the building, a crowd of onlookers began harassing her. Witness Camerson Fallow alleges the problems arose as paparazzi competed with one another to grab a photo.
“One of them shouted, ‘Where’s your dong, fella’ and then they all started punching each other because they were so desperate for a photo,” Fallow told the HuffPost U.K. Fallow’s friend Tess Fair came to a similar conclusion.
“They were addressing Caitlyn as a man, they were trying to get a reaction,” Fair explained.
“Caitlyn kept her cool though and walked to her limo with her head down and security bundled her into the car, but she looked terrified,” the witness said.
Shortly after the incident, the Metropolitan Police were called and informed about the harassment. An official statement from Scotland Yard reveals investigators are currently looking into the case.
“Officers attended and spoke to one of the organizers who alleged that a photographer had verbally abused a woman and a man as they were leaving the event,” Scotland Yard explained in an official statement, according to HuffPost U.K. “No arrests have been made. Enquiries are ongoing.”
Jenner has remained a contentious—and, at times, even despised—figure in LGBTQ activism, in part because of her conservative values, privileged position as an upper-class white woman, and general ignorance on LGBTQ life. But queer and trans advocates turned to social media to denounce Jenner’s treatment on Friday, arguing that every person should respect transgender women’s pronouns and gender identity. Even if they don’t personally like the trans person, or her politics, in question.
here's my crazy idea for the day: you can dislike caitlyn jenner without being transphobic 📝
— princess (@millimoon_) May 15, 2017
just bc caitlyn jenner sucks doesn't mean u get to be transphobic towards her
— irene (@puertowiccan) May 12, 2017
Just because you think Caitlyn Jenner is a bad person does not mean she deserves transphobic violence and hate speech
— no one fucking knows (@floatinglights1) May 15, 2017
But others argued that Jenner’s time in the spotlight robbed attention away from trans women who face even more severe marginalization, like trans women of color.
So Caitlin Jenner can be verbally attack with transphobia and we investigate. Trans BW get murdered and no one gives a fuck?
— God herself (@elyseiriss) May 15, 2017
It's a shame that the #BritishLGBTAwards awarded Caitlyn Jenner when she's been against equal marriage and others who have poor history
— Joe White (@JoeyWh1te) May 12, 2017
police can investigate when someone shouts trans abuse at Caitlyn Jenner but not when black trans women get murdered
— SpookyScarySkeleJen (@JenProuvaire) May 14, 2017
Jenner was also in the U.K. to promote her memoir, The Secrets of My Life. According to LGBTQ Nation, the book has struggled to push sales, with signed copies sitting unsold and the book facing a heavy discount.
Ana Valens is an LGBTQ reporter and essayist for the Daily Dot. Her work has previously appeared in Bitch, the Establishment, Vice's Waypoint, Rolling Stone's Glixel, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.