- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Today 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
A Black man who works at an Arizona restaurant says his co-workers sent him a food order with the N-word on it, and his manager brushed it off as a joke.
View this post on Instagram
Hey everybody, This ticket order was sent into to me by two of my coworkers on October 22nd at the Breakfast Club- Cityscape. Apparently this was a hysterical joke about myself that everyone including management thought was ok because the two employees were “Only joking”. Now I’ve been called way worse in my life but if you know me, one thing I don’t do is tolerate disrespect. But my employer allowed me to disrespected and humiliated by my coworkers. Almost 4 weeks later no disciplinary action has been taken against the two employees. Furthermore, since this has taken place not only myself but other black employees hours have been reduced and they have not let us serve as waiters. For future references please be mindful of the companies that you support!
A post shared by @ rakevionmonteil on
According to the photo, the receipt says “[N-word] Order,” and underneath the barista number and time, the phrase is repeated again.
White explained in the post captions that the receipt was sent his way on Oct. 22 at the Breakfast Club’s Cityscape location.
“Apparently this was a hysterical joke about myself that everyone including management thought was ok because the two employees were ‘Only joking,’” he wrote.
He said he has experienced far worse racist speech but that the level of disrespect he faced in this situation, and his co-workers’ lack of accountability three weeks later, is unacceptable.
“My employer allowed me to disrespected and humiliated by my co-workers,” he said.
Commenters expressed disgust over the racist receipt, and many offered legal services or recommended him to pursue legal action.
“I have a work attorney I literally just settled my case and I highly suggest you see him,” one user wrote.
Some commenters, however, sided with the man’s co-workers and agreed the offensive receipt was “just a joke.”
White did not immediately respond to the Daily Dot’s request for comments but told BuzzFeed News that since the incident, his hours at work have been reduced from 25 hours to about 18 hours.
BuzzFeed identified White as a 21-year-old student at Arizona State University who relies on his restaurant job to pay for school. He also said in his Instagram post that since the incident, he and other Black employees have not been allowed to serve as waiters which, as BuzzFeed pointed out, means he isn’t receiving tips anymore.
The Facebook page for Breakfast Club Downtown Phoenix is being trashed by users.
“Racist manager that enables his staff to be racially insensitive, its almost 2020,” one user wrote. “Get with the program!”
The Facebook page for the branch of the restaurant is flagged as an “unofficial page,” and a note says it was “created because people on Facebook have shown interest in this place or business.”
On Wednesday afternoon, a manager at the Breakfast Club’s CityScape location told the Daily Dot that employees were meeting about the incident but wouldn’t comment further.
- Video shows driver yelling N-word at Black woman in road rage incident
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’
- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs
H/T BuzzFeed News
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque