- Google CEO tells Congress why searching ‘idiot’ results in Trump images Tuesday 3:52 PM
- Netflix’s year-end data dump shows what people binged in 2018 Tuesday 3:13 PM
- Snowden joins calls for Google to end controversial Chinese search engine Tuesday 1:51 PM
- There’s still time for Congress to reinstate net neutrality Tuesday 1:24 PM
- George R.R. Martin promises fans he’ll finish ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ … someday Tuesday 12:58 PM
- The Boss tears down his myths on Netflix’s ‘Springsteen on Broadway’ Tuesday 10:56 AM
- Vlogger banned from Twitter for disturbing pro-pedophilia posts Tuesday 10:45 AM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is Nintendo’s greatest labor of love Tuesday 10:44 AM
- Miranda Sings creator Colleen Ballinger gives birth to baby boy Tuesday 10:26 AM
- Columbia University student goes on white supremacy rant in viral video Tuesday 9:58 AM
- PewDiePie promotes YouTube account that features anti-Semitism, Nazi imagery Tuesday 9:20 AM
- FCC investigates major wireless carrier for lying about coverage Tuesday 8:40 AM
- Get this best-selling pressure cooker for half off, today only Tuesday 8:30 AM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez compares her victory at 28 to Paul Ryan’s—and calls out a double standard Tuesday 8:22 AM
- If you’ve always lusted after a KitchenAid mixer, it’s over $80 off today Tuesday 8:00 AM
Black security guard who stopped bar shooting killed by police arriving on the scene
A Black security guard was killed by police this weekend as he was apprehending a suspected shooter at his workplace.
Around 4am on Sunday, a group of drunk men was reportedly told by security to leave Manny’s Blue Room Bar in Robbins, Illinois. According to witnesses, one of them returned with a gun and opened fire. Security shot back, and 26-year-old security guard Jemel Roberson was able to apprehend one of the men involved with the shooting outside the bar. One witness told WGN TV that Roberson had the suspect pinned on the ground with a gun to his back.
Soon after, police arrived to respond to the shooting. One of the officers, who has not yet been identified, fired on Roberson, killing him. “Everybody was screaming out, ‘He was a security guard,'” witness Adam Harris told WGN TV. “And they basically saw a Black man with a gun and killed him.” Authorities have so far released few details about the shooting.
Roberson was known among friends for his musical talent and played drums and keyboard at various churches in the Chicago area. “Every artist he’s ever played for every musician he’s ever sat beside, we’re all just broken because we have no answers,” Rev. Patricia Hill of Purposed Church told WGN TV. She also said Roberson had been hoping to become a police officer, and remarked on the sad irony, saying, “The very people he wanted to be family with, took his life.”
People have been responding to the news with cries for justice, as well as perspective. People often argue that armed security will make places safer, but Roberson was literally killed for being armed security. This complicates the idea often touted by anti-gun-control conservatives that a “good guy with a gun” can effectively stop a shooting.
URGENT: Here is what happens when a good (BLACK) guy with a gun tries to intervene in a mass shooting. #JemelRoberson
A beloved church musician in Chicago who moonlighted as a security guard was shot & killed by police after he stopped a mass shooting at an area bar. pic.twitter.com/uRPqEEFqKX
— Shaun King (@shaunking) November 12, 2018
Jemel Roberson was literally the Good Guy with a Gun.
He had single-handedly apprehended a guy who had shot wildly into his bar — and was waiting to turn the guy over to police.
— Dan Lavoie (@djlavoie) November 12, 2018
My heart goes out to Jemel Roberson's friends & family. It also goes out to everyone I know who is Black and continually dehumanized & targeted by racist killer cops. I'm irate that you & your ancestors have had to experience this racist violence for so long. Abolish the police! https://t.co/T95drZKhwh
— #EndIntersexSurgery (@Pidgejen) November 12, 2018
The State Police Public Integrity Task Force is currently investigating the police shooting of Roberson, while local police are investigating the shooting that Roberson stopped.
- Living with the constant threat of death as a Black American
- White feminism is fertile ground for white nationalism
- Meet the undocumented students who are outspoken and unafraid of Trump’s DACA orders
H/T WGN TV