- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Friday 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Friday 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Friday 8:43 AM
Advocates for body positivity and fans of Adele are expressing their frustration after she shared Christmas party pictures—and media outlets focused on her apparent weight loss.
On Monday evening Adele shared some pictures from her Christmas party on Instagram, looking elegant as always in a black satin dress and posing with the Grinch and Santa Claus. “We both tried to ruin Christmas but then both our hearts grew! Thank you for coming to my party and making us feel like kids Grinch 💚,” the singer wrote. “Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone.”
While several outlets noted her ’50s-inspired look with poofy sleeves and wavy hair, others focused on weight loss, using words and phrases like “glam transformation” and “glow up.” Others said she was “flaunting” or “showing off” her weight loss.
Adele flaunts HUGE three stone weight loss in stunning satin dress to ring in Christmas with Santa https://t.co/UtkLB6jLeQ— Daily Mail Celebrity (@DailyMailCeleb) December 23, 2019
For those who have always seen Adele as beautiful, these responses to her Christmas pictures were insulting and condescending.
“Adele was beautiful before. Is beautiful now. Will be beautiful WHATEVERTHEFUCK weight she will be in the future,” said actress Jameela Jamil, who has been outspoken against body shame. “The weight of a global icon trending is a sign there is still work to do in how we value women in 2020. Being thinner doesn’t add to her value.”
PSA: Adele isn't 'flaunting her weight loss', she's just going to a party, k thanks— Rachel McGrath (@RachelMcGrath) October 25, 2019
Adele was beautiful before. Is beautiful now. Will be beautiful WHATEVERTHEFUCK weight she will be in the future. The weight of a global icon trending is a sign there is still work to do in how we value women in 2020. Being thinner doesn’t add to her value. She was born 💯 pic.twitter.com/frzP7uQIjJ— Jameela Jamil 🌈 (@jameelajamil) December 24, 2019
It’s sad that it takes someone losing weight for y’all to notice their beauty... @Adele has always been stunning but up until now she was just “talented” or “funny”— Brandon Hilton (@BRANDONHILTON) December 24, 2019
Are you kidding me? Adele would be disgusted at how y’all just suddenly stanning her just because she lost weight, she‘s ALWAYS been powerful https://t.co/cH7JEOELXZ— k (@taintedavenue) December 24, 2019
Adele’s fashion has long been classic and elegant, which lends extra credence to criticism of those saying she has transformed. Other people contrasted the praise Adele is getting now with the criticism Lizzo has been getting for being positive about her body.
waking up to new tweets critiquing how “unhealthy” lizzo is and praising adele’s “gorgeous” new figure - just say you hate fat women and move on!!— grace barber-plentie (@gracesimone) December 24, 2019
For Adele fans seeing her name trending on Twitter wasn’t just disappointing because of the fat-shaming; Adele’s last album was released in 2015, and people are eager for new music from the artist. On her birthday this year, she teased her new album, writing on Instagram, “30 will be a drum n bass record to spite you,” and the rumors say a new album is expected this month.
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.