- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June 4 Years Ago
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok 4 Years Ago
- Homophobic preacher wants Pete Buttigieg to renounce fisting and rimming 4 Years Ago
- ‘The Liar, the Snitch, and the War Crimes’: Twitter roasts news of Trump Jr. book deal Today 12:36 PM
- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice Today 12:07 PM
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters Today 12:00 PM
- Meet the anti-choice, pro-NRA Trump supporter challenging Rep. Justin Amash Today 11:51 AM
- Moby attempts to prove he dated Natalie Portman with a shirtless photo Today 11:39 AM
- After feuding with James Charles, Tati Westbrook angers the YouTube community Today 11:06 AM
- Does Keri Russell’s ‘Rise of Skywalker’ character have an offensive name in Spanish? Today 10:59 AM
- It’s not clear if Ralph Northam is in racist yearbook photo, investigators say Today 10:48 AM
- The atonement of an alt-right troll Today 9:25 AM
- #StopTheBans protests draw thousands across the country in support of abortion rights Today 9:24 AM
- North Korea is using Trump’s low IQ attack on Joe Biden Today 9:14 AM
- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free Today 8:00 AM
The lingerie giant is moving into the world of wearable tech with its Incredible sports bra.
Everyone knows that Victoria’s Secret is Very Sexy, because that’s the lingerie giant’s tagline. But now, Victoria’s Secret is moving from the Very Sexy world of overpriced ladies’ underwear to the Very Sexy world of wearable tech. The company just came out with the Incredible sports bra, which uses built-in electrodes to measure your heart rate.
In terms of design, the Incredible bra looks pretty much like any other sports bra Victoria’s Secret has come out with. It comes in two colors, pink and slate gray (or “Hello Lovely” and “Black Marl,” to use catalogue parlance), and it also comes with built-in padding, because when you’re wheezing and puffing through a 5K, you obviously want to keep that rounded, perky look going on.
In a sense, the fact that the Incredible sports bra looks like every other generic sports bra on the market is an advantage, as most wearable tech garments are criticized for looking too much like gizmos, and not enough like actual clothing. But let’s talk about what the Incredible sports bra actually does for a second: It’s a bra embedded with built-in sensors that measure your heart rate, which you can track via a separate, clip-on heart rate monitor.
The concept of a sports bra that tracks your heart rate is nothing new: There’s already the Sensoria Fitness Bra (which is both functional and unpadded), as well as a sports bra from LuluLemon and a $54.99 version from Adidas that serve a similar function. The only difference appears to be that the Victoria’s Secret bra costs more—approximately $75, according to the website.
If you think it’s absolutely ludicrous to shell out $75 for a sports bra that performs exactly the same function as an iPhone does, you’re not alone. But that’s the battle women wage every time we shell out for a Victoria’s Secret bra. And no one ever said being both Very Sexy and Very Tech-Savvy came cheap.
H/T TechCrunch | Photo via Victoria’s Secret
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.