- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ 2 Years Ago
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app 2 Years Ago
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
- New restaurant in New York has a seriously unfortunate name: ‘Qanoon’ Saturday 1:38 PM
- These are the 10 best ‘Star Wars’ ships Saturday 12:41 PM
- Google Maps helped solve a decades-old missing persons case Saturday 12:27 PM
- Teen who plotted deadly swatting prank over Call of Duty argument gets prison time Saturday 11:58 AM
- RIP to the real star of ‘Stranger Things’: Steve Harrington’s mullet Saturday 11:04 AM
Jeff Bezos isn’t just CEO of one of the world’s most popular technology companies. He’s also the newly crowned Richest Person in the World. That is, as long as today’s Amazon shares don’t take a plunge.
Thanks to a 1.8 percent increase in Amazon stock value this morning, Jeff Bezos may have just edged out Bill Gates as the world’s richest person. Bill Gates has held that top spot since May 2013. Both Gates and Bezos have a net worth right around $90 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Gates’ net worth has held relatively steady, increasing slightly over the past few years. Bezos’ value, by contrast, seems to have skyrocketed since late 2014.
The two technology titans aren’t strangers. They share a number of passions, such as addressing climate change. They’ve even worked together on endeavors such as the Breakthrough Energy Coalition, an organization dedicated to helping the world achieve a “zero emissions energy future.”
Bezos is also one of a number of tech CEOs (such as Apple’s Tim Cook and Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg) who’ve consulted with the Trump administration. Recently, he traveled to Washington to meet with the recently formed American Technology Council, to help modernize our government.
Rounding out the list of world’s richest people, Americans Warren Buffett and Mark Zuckerberg are numbers four and five on Bloomberg’s list. Buffett has a $74.5 billion market value, while Zuck clocks in slightly below that at $70.5 billion.
With Bezos and Gates being so close, we’re likely to see the two leap frog each other over the coming months. However, if Bezos’ trajectory continues like it has, he will eventually leave Gates in the dust.
Update 4:12pm CT: As predicted, a slight adjustment in the stock market Thursday afternoon has now dropped Bezos out of the top spot.
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.