- New Apex Legends characters leaked by data miners 2 Years Ago
- Ken Jeong falls back on crude humor and lazy stereotypes in ‘You Complete Me, Ho’ 2 Years Ago
- 14 artsy cartoon mugs that’ll help make your days more creative Today 12:15 PM
- Netflix cancels ‘Jessica Jones’ and ‘The Punisher’ Today 11:26 AM
- YouTube is fueling the rise in flat earth believers Today 11:04 AM
- Review: Crackdown 3 is not a world worth saving Today 11:00 AM
- Scathing privacy report calls Facebook a ‘digital gangster’ Today 10:50 AM
- 21 Savage goes deep on 21 Savage memes Today 10:49 AM
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own Today 10:47 AM
- How to unlock the Fortnite Prisoner stage 4 skin Today 10:45 AM
- Julian Assange reportedly nominated for Nobel Peace Prize Today 10:27 AM
- Major U.S. airlines will soon implement nonbinary gender options Today 10:21 AM
- Trump calls 25th Amendment talk a ‘coup’ attempt Today 8:42 AM
- The Hatebook: Inside Facebook’s thriving subculture of racism Today 7:29 AM
- Anthony Hamilton’s national anthem at All-Star game sparks MVP meme Today 7:02 AM
Bezos beats out Bill Gates, who’s held the top spot since 2013.
Jeff Bezos isn’t just CEO of one of the world’s most popular technology companies. He’s also the newly crowned Richest Person in the World. That is, as long as today’s Amazon shares don’t take a plunge.
Thanks to a 1.8 percent increase in Amazon stock value this morning, Jeff Bezos may have just edged out Bill Gates as the world’s richest person. Bill Gates has held that top spot since May 2013. Both Gates and Bezos have a net worth right around $90 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Gates’ net worth has held relatively steady, increasing slightly over the past few years. Bezos’ value, by contrast, seems to have skyrocketed since late 2014.
The two technology titans aren’t strangers. They share a number of passions, such as addressing climate change. They’ve even worked together on endeavors such as the Breakthrough Energy Coalition, an organization dedicated to helping the world achieve a “zero emissions energy future.”
Bezos is also one of a number of tech CEOs (such as Apple’s Tim Cook and Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg) who’ve consulted with the Trump administration. Recently, he traveled to Washington to meet with the recently formed American Technology Council, to help modernize our government.
Rounding out the list of world’s richest people, Americans Warren Buffett and Mark Zuckerberg are numbers four and five on Bloomberg’s list. Buffett has a $74.5 billion market value, while Zuck clocks in slightly below that at $70.5 billion.
With Bezos and Gates being so close, we’re likely to see the two leap frog each other over the coming months. However, if Bezos’ trajectory continues like it has, he will eventually leave Gates in the dust.
Update 4:12pm CT: As predicted, a slight adjustment in the stock market Thursday afternoon has now dropped Bezos out of the top spot.
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.