- Woman who live streamed a police officer’s shooting is receiving death threats 2 Years Ago
- Pre-Prime Day deals you don’t want to miss 2 Years Ago
- Dana Loesch out at NRATV; ‘thoughts and prayers’ for her career are in 2 Years Ago
- Trump’s rant about Megan Rapinoe devolves into treatise about PC culture in the NBA Today 10:41 AM
- Is Millie Bobby Brown joining the MCU? Today 10:39 AM
- Hundreds of thousands demand that Etika’s previously deleted YouTube channel be restored Today 10:18 AM
- Eric Trump says cocktail waitress spit on him in Chicago bar Today 9:47 AM
- Maine governor signs net neutrality bill into law Today 9:07 AM
- How the QAnon movement continues without its messenger Today 8:26 AM
- 6 best Korean beauty products for summer Today 8:17 AM
- ‘The Office’ is leaving Netflix in 2021 Today 7:46 AM
- How to install the iOS 13 beta and test out its best new features Today 7:42 AM
- Swipe This! I want my boyfriend to text me everyday. Is that crazy? Today 7:30 AM
- Why every 2020 Democrat is canceled Today 7:01 AM
- The best LGBTQ movies and series on Amazon Prime Today 7:00 AM
Bezos beats out Bill Gates, who’s held the top spot since 2013.
Jeff Bezos isn’t just CEO of one of the world’s most popular technology companies. He’s also the newly crowned Richest Person in the World. That is, as long as today’s Amazon shares don’t take a plunge.
Thanks to a 1.8 percent increase in Amazon stock value this morning, Jeff Bezos may have just edged out Bill Gates as the world’s richest person. Bill Gates has held that top spot since May 2013. Both Gates and Bezos have a net worth right around $90 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Gates’ net worth has held relatively steady, increasing slightly over the past few years. Bezos’ value, by contrast, seems to have skyrocketed since late 2014.
The two technology titans aren’t strangers. They share a number of passions, such as addressing climate change. They’ve even worked together on endeavors such as the Breakthrough Energy Coalition, an organization dedicated to helping the world achieve a “zero emissions energy future.”
Bezos is also one of a number of tech CEOs (such as Apple’s Tim Cook and Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg) who’ve consulted with the Trump administration. Recently, he traveled to Washington to meet with the recently formed American Technology Council, to help modernize our government.
Rounding out the list of world’s richest people, Americans Warren Buffett and Mark Zuckerberg are numbers four and five on Bloomberg’s list. Buffett has a $74.5 billion market value, while Zuck clocks in slightly below that at $70.5 billion.
With Bezos and Gates being so close, we’re likely to see the two leap frog each other over the coming months. However, if Bezos’ trajectory continues like it has, he will eventually leave Gates in the dust.
Update 4:12pm CT: As predicted, a slight adjustment in the stock market Thursday afternoon has now dropped Bezos out of the top spot.
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.