- Muslim girls are making fun of Islamophobia in viral TikTok videos Thursday 8:34 PM
- Kendall Jenner’s ‘cruel’ dog collar sparks online debate Thursday 8:04 PM
- All ‘The Witcher’ content you can gobble up once you finish the Netflix series Thursday 7:47 PM
- Tinder adding a ‘panic button’ for when dates go awry Thursday 6:14 PM
- Webcam footage of ‘Bigfoot’ shared by state government agency Thursday 5:47 PM
- Video shows that James Corden doesn’t drive Carpool Karaoke car—and fans feel betrayed Thursday 5:06 PM
- Video shows Julianne Hough screaming, writhing during physical therapy demo Thursday 4:47 PM
- Halsey accidentally called for another 9/11 Thursday 4:01 PM
- Lizzo’s Rolling Stone shoot criticized for cultural appropriation Thursday 3:19 PM
- Bloomberg’s broadband platform is 5 years behind his rivals Thursday 3:03 PM
- Hulu’s ‘Endlings’ is a smart sci-fi show for kids—and adults Thursday 1:42 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Pandemic’ drops right when we need to be worried most Thursday 1:20 PM
- TikTok signs licensing agreement with Merlin Thursday 12:19 PM
- Anime film ‘NiNoKuni’ falls apart with flimsy plotting Thursday 11:57 AM
- Cop who called for boycott of Beyoncé’s Super Bowl performance now says he’s Black Thursday 11:12 AM
Galaxy S4 explodes under sleeping girl’s pillow
Note to self: Don’t use third-party smartphone batteries.
A 13-year-old girl in north Texas was woken up in the middle of the night last week when her Samsung Galaxy S4 caught fire and burned her bed as she slept, the local Fox TV station reported.
“The whole phone melted,” her dad, Thomas Tolfree, told reporters. “The plastic, the glass, you can’t even really tell it was a phone.
Ariel Tolfree, who woke up to the burning smell and was unharmed, doesn’t have to wonder too much about why her phone combusted a few inches from her head.
The Galaxy S4 was running on an unauthorized third-party battery—the part that overheated, swelled, and started the fire—that her dad bought and installed in his daughter’s phone. That didn’t phase her father, however.
“We have a reasonable expectation that the products we buy are going to be safe,” he said.
Samsung pointed out that the phone’s users guide—which, surely, all of its users have read—specifically warns against “covering the device with bedding, your body, thick clothing…”
Patrick Howell O'Neill is a notable cybersecurity reporter whose work has focused on the dark net, national security, and law enforcement. A former senior writer at the Daily Dot, O'Neill joined CyberScoop in October 2016. I am a cybersecurity journalist at CyberScoop. I cover the security industry, national security and law enforcement.