- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
Horrifying video shows teen’s Dell laptop erupting into a ball of fire 4 times
This was frightening.
[Placeholder for https://www.facebook.com/NBCLA/videos/10154497168906028/ video embed.]
Devon Johnson, 18, proceeded to extinguish the fire and place the charred laptop on his back patio where it exploded for a second, third, and fourth time—each time erupting into a ball of flame and, at one point, nearly shooting sparks into the young man’s face.
The incident took place in Thousand Oaks, California, just outside of Los Angeles, and was first reported by NBC4.
“We are coordinating with Mr. Johnson to retrieve the product and will conduct a complete investigation to validate its origin and understand its full history,” Dell told NBC4 in a statement. “There is a wide spectrum of potential reasons for what’s seen in the video.”
Dell released a statement on Twitter regarding the incident.
The company will be hoping its popular, mid-tier Inspiron line isn’t the next to fall victim to poorly designed lithium-ion batteries. Dell is right when it says the fire could have originated for many different reasons. Anything from a poorly designed cell from a third-party manufacturer to damage to the device’s chassis could lead to thermal runaway.
You can read the company’s full statement on its website, which includes a warning on the need to use approved batteries.
Update 12:53pm CT, Feb. 9: A spokesperson from Dell provided the following statement regarding the incident:
We have concluded our full investigation. The battery involved was not manufactured by Dell and was not an authentic Dell battery. Dell batteries contain Dell intellectual property that helps ensure safety. Remember, it is important to follow the manufacturer’s safety instructions for all electronic devices. Incompatible, counterfeit or third-party batteries may increase the risk of a safety related incident.
Phillip Tracy is a former technology staff writer at the Daily Dot. He's an expert on smartphones, social media trends, and gadgets. He previously reported on IoT and telecom for RCR Wireless News and contributed to NewBay Media magazine. He now writes for Laptop magazine.