- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play 5 Months Ago
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Today 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Today 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Today 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Today 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Today 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Today 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Today 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Today 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
Say goodbye to the old, flat, stale design.
Addressing one of the biggest faux pas of the decade, Apple is walking back its bagel emoji and implementing a much better, much sleeker bagel that looks like something you’d actually order from your local bodega.
Controversy first began after Apple unveiled its 70-plus emoji update in iOS 12.1. Here’s the original version.
Disgusting. Now here’s the improved version.
That’s much more like it. The original bagel looked stale, cheap, and plain, the kind of sorry excuse of a meal you’d heat up in the microwave and down with a cup of instant coffee. The new emoji, on the other hand, looks so plump and delicious, we’re tempted to go out and buy a bagel from the nearby corner deli right now.
Twitter agrees that the bagel redesign is a necessary improvement.
— Fionna Adams @ Obsidian National Forest (@internetfionna) October 16, 2018
did…did someone take a photo of a bagel? This is very detailed. pic.twitter.com/lhfWknBgIs
— Jeremy Burge 🐥🧿 (@jeremyburge) October 15, 2018
— Emojipedia 📙 (@Emojipedia) October 16, 2018
making the bagel emoji even new yorkier is the cruellest thing to happen to me today, and I came down with the flu to start my vacation https://t.co/bJehsMdMef
— David Rudin (@DavidSRudin) October 16, 2018
Apple must’ve put their entire A-team on the re-redesign of the bagel emoji because now it looks photorealistic. pic.twitter.com/A6IBZjWZtF
— Spike ⛏ Rundle (@flyosity) October 15, 2018
Apple Fixes Bagel Emoji https://t.co/as9WXlEWIl
This shows the power of the people to drive change against the entrenched power structure! pic.twitter.com/6A6N2nWUK2
— Steven Sinofsky (@stevesi) October 16, 2018
Lmfao there’s actually things going on in the world that are important but I guess apple putting cream cheese on the bagel emoji tops it all
— kyrsten 🕷 (@ripkyrsten) October 16, 2018
Hi, welcome to the 21st century where we complained that a bagel emoji needed to have cream cheese on it so apple listened and changed it… Fuck this world. pic.twitter.com/DsVVSb5prO
— indie trash (@CameronWatsonYT) October 16, 2018
Apple: How can we keep our customers more loyal to the company?
Ppl: How bout better quality charging cables?
Apple: Something revolutionary…
Ppl: Don’t slow our phones down as soon as a new one comes out?
Apple: I’VE GOT IT, PUT CREAM CHEESE ON THE BAGEL EMOJI!!! STAT!!!! https://t.co/Nd2EG9sAIl
— Irvin /Pah'gōn/ (@_CurlyFryGuy_) October 16, 2018
we live in a society https://t.co/lUSmtI68ti
— Spooky Gamer Dude (@ProGamerDude_) October 16, 2018
Others are a little picky about the plain-bagel-with-cream-cheese look. After all, the best bagel in the world is an everything bagel with a lox spread.
A nice improvement, but do people actually buy bagels without sesame seeds? Could use one more rev, imho. https://t.co/6kJty5XrYl
— Mike Davidson (@mikeindustries) October 16, 2018
The New Yorker in me finds the new bagel emoji so beautiful and detailed but IT👏🏻NEEDS👏🏻SEEDS👏🏻 #everythingbagelsftw
— Michaela (@bulletprooftaco) October 16, 2018
Okay, so I'm not a New Yorker but I don't get the bagel emoji thing. It looked fine to me. Also there is FAR too much cream cheese on it now.
— David Price (@pricivius) October 16, 2018
I demand that my bagel emoji be toasted and include a thread of objecting-party commentary underneath it. https://t.co/sdHFXXWZSy
— Ian Bogost (@ibogost) October 16, 2018
- How to access iCloud on iPhone, Mac, and Windows
- Meet the top Instagram models ruling your feed
- How to repost on Instagram
Apple’s new and improved bagel emoji is already part of iOS 12.1’s beta 4 update, and it’s expected to arrive across iOS 12.0-compatible devices with the public iOS 12.1 release later this year.
H/T the Verge
Ana Valens is an LGBTQ reporter and essayist for the Daily Dot. Her work has previously appeared in Bitch, the Establishment, Vice's Waypoint, Rolling Stone's Glixel, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.