- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
Addressing one of the biggest faux pas of the decade, Apple is walking back its bagel emoji and implementing a much better, much sleeker bagel that looks like something you’d actually order from your local bodega.
Controversy first began after Apple unveiled its 70-plus emoji update in iOS 12.1. Here’s the original version.
Disgusting. Now here’s the improved version.
That’s much more like it. The original bagel looked stale, cheap, and plain, the kind of sorry excuse of a meal you’d heat up in the microwave and down with a cup of instant coffee. The new emoji, on the other hand, looks so plump and delicious, we’re tempted to go out and buy a bagel from the nearby corner deli right now.
Twitter agrees that the bagel redesign is a necessary improvement.
IMPORTANT https://t.co/NZoM34sfAb— Fionna Adams @ Obsidian National Forest (@internetfionna) October 16, 2018
ENHANCE 🔍— Jeremy Burge (@jeremyburge) October 15, 2018
did...did someone take a photo of a bagel? This is very detailed. pic.twitter.com/lhfWknBgIs
making the bagel emoji even new yorkier is the cruellest thing to happen to me today, and I came down with the flu to start my vacation https://t.co/bJehsMdMef— David Rudin (@DavidSRudin) October 16, 2018
Apple must’ve put their entire A-team on the re-redesign of the bagel emoji because now it looks photorealistic. pic.twitter.com/A6IBZjWZtF— Spike ⛏ Rundle (@flyosity) October 15, 2018
Hi, welcome to the 21st century where we complained that a bagel emoji needed to have cream cheese on it so apple listened and changed it... Fuck this world. pic.twitter.com/DsVVSb5prO— indie trash (@CameronWatsonYT) October 16, 2018
Apple: How can we keep our customers more loyal to the company?— Irvin /Pah'gōn/ (@_CurlyFryGuy_) October 16, 2018
Ppl: How bout better quality charging cables?
Apple: Something revolutionary...
Ppl: Don’t slow our phones down as soon as a new one comes out?
Apple: I’VE GOT IT, PUT CREAM CHEESE ON THE BAGEL EMOJI!!! STAT!!!! https://t.co/Nd2EG9sAIl
we live in a society https://t.co/lUSmtI68ti— Spooky Gamer Dude (@ProGamerDude_) October 16, 2018
Others are a little picky about the plain-bagel-with-cream-cheese look. After all, the best bagel in the world is an everything bagel with a lox spread.
A nice improvement, but do people actually buy bagels without sesame seeds? Could use one more rev, imho. https://t.co/6kJty5XrYl— Mike Davidson (@mikeindustries) October 16, 2018
The New Yorker in me finds the new bagel emoji so beautiful and detailed but IT👏🏻NEEDS👏🏻SEEDS👏🏻 #everythingbagelsftw— Michaela (@bulletprooftaco) October 16, 2018
Okay, so I'm not a New Yorker but I don't get the bagel emoji thing. It looked fine to me. Also there is FAR too much cream cheese on it now.— David Price (@pricivius) October 16, 2018
I demand that my bagel emoji be toasted and include a thread of objecting-party commentary underneath it. https://t.co/sdHFXXWZSy— Ian Bogost (@ibogost) October 16, 2018
- How to access iCloud on iPhone, Mac, and Windows
- Meet the top Instagram models ruling your feed
- How to repost on Instagram
Apple’s new and improved bagel emoji is already part of iOS 12.1’s beta 4 update, and it’s expected to arrive across iOS 12.0-compatible devices with the public iOS 12.1 release later this year.
H/T the Verge
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.