- iPhone overloaded? Here’s how to cancel app subscriptions Monday 11:02 PM
- Fan-created ‘app’ lets users experience the final moments of the ill-fated Jeremy Renner app Monday 10:00 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos receives lifetime ban from furry convention Monday 7:49 PM
- Snapchat just made all political ads purchased publicly available Monday 6:12 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Borussia Dortmund in Champions League action Monday 5:39 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Napoli in Champions League action Monday 5:19 PM
- How to make real money with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk Monday 5:03 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Valencia in the Champions League group stage Monday 4:47 PM
- ‘SNL’ fires Shane Gillis for racist, homophobic comments Monday 4:41 PM
- Ben Shapiro wants accusers to describe Brett Kavanaugh’s penis Monday 4:30 PM
- Twitch suspends streamer for wearing Chun-Li cosplay Monday 4:11 PM
- Report: 8 years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by prosecutors Monday 3:45 PM
- Netflix lands exclusive streaming rights to ‘Seinfeld’ Monday 3:34 PM
- Jenny Slate sets first comedy special at Netflix Monday 3:05 PM
- #EndSmearFear is aiming to save lives Monday 2:54 PM
Amazon Echo launches out of private beta, sells out almost immediately
The brain to your smarthome’s body
The Echo is an all-in-one music, news, weather, traffic, and search device. It can set reminders, look up information, and control your less-witty home gadgets like Philips Hue lights and WeMo-compatible appliances. In short, if your home were a body, the Echo would be its brains.
Customer reviews of the Echo, which costs $179, have been overwhelmingly positive, with users praising its ability to detect a voice from rooms away and decipher requests amid ambient noise that would trip up most voice-recognition systems.
Amazon launched the device through an invitation-only pre-release trial period to put it through its paces and iron out any kinks before a wider release. Judging by the nearly 20,000 reviews for the device, that trial was rather large.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Echo has already sold out and is now on backorder. You’ll have to wait until at least mid-July for your Echo to arrive if you order it now.
Photo via Amazon
Mike Wehner is a former tech editor for the Daily Dot who now writes for BGR. His work has appeared everywhere from Yahoo to CNN, and there’s a good chance his Apple Watch is dead right now.