- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos 7 Years Ago
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Today 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Today 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
Becomes Internet meme, makes a t-shirt.
Blake Boston is the world’s most famous scumbag—but don’t feel bad for him. With a new Scumbag Steve shirt appearing at Urban Outfitters, he’s certainly making the best of it.
Boston, 22, is the face of the popular Scumbag Steve meme: his face, topped with backwards designer cap and nestled in fur, has been the background for many slogans poking fun at obnoxious behavior.
But instead of distancing himself from his perceived douchebag persona, Boston has embraced it—and the money is coming in. Currently, in the form of one men’s sized cotton shirt in small to extra-large.
“I love you all who have my back and think I should sue urban outfitters but NO, THEY ARE DOING THIS FOR ME,” he wrote on Tumblr. “Digging them so much for this!!!”
The aspiring rapper told fans on Twitter and Tumblr that he sold his likeness to Urban Outfitters so they could make the shirt. He’ll get a cut with each shirt they sell, and announced as much on his Tumblr, feigning surprise:
“Whhhaaat? (Lol) I’m down with this, it’s coo. Finally my shirt, made by me. It’s all good, if you’ve got some love for me……. Buy the fucking thing. I’ve got a kid to feed and who’s gonna hire a scumbag?”
This is just one of the lucrative opportunities that appeared for Boston after he became a meme. He’s also partnered with Brisk Ice Tea, which used the macro for an online ad campaign. He told the Daily Dot that a Hot Topic clothing line is in the works. This line will include a copy of Steve’s iconic Scumbag Hat, which has become a meme of its own.
For now though, if you want to wear Steve’s scummy mug, Urban Outfitters is the only place its available. Boston said he’s “not sure” when the Hot Topic line is coming out.
Photo via Urban Outfitters
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.