- Twitter blasts Benny Johnson over heinous Native American ‘socialist’ reservations take Tuesday 6:16 PM
- New Zealand arrests 2 for sharing video of mosque shooting Tuesday 4:44 PM
- ‘Queer Eye’ season 3 serves more frothy fun and cathartic realness Tuesday 4:30 PM
- Everyone is roasting this photo of Kourtney Kardashian in a bubble bath Tuesday 4:15 PM
- White House report has a lot of superheroes listed as interns Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Google to launch ‘Stadia’ cloud gaming service this year Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Amy Schumer addresses her ‘Growing’ pains in new Netflix special Tuesday 2:04 PM
- This Bitcoin tie is everyone’s favorite part of the Theranos documentary Tuesday 1:56 PM
- Trump’s social media guru gets suspended on Facebook Tuesday 1:51 PM
- YouTube time traveler says he saw a dinosaur—in the future Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Why is Netflix changing the viewing order for ‘Love, Death & Robots’? Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet Tuesday 12:40 PM
- These cat purses have everything you need (including balls) Tuesday 12:22 PM
- Smooth dude gets girl’s number with a ‘choose your own adventure’ RPG on Tinder Tuesday 12:20 PM
- Beto O’Rourke reportedly pranked his wife with a ‘verdant turd’ Tuesday 12:13 PM
Becomes Internet meme, makes a t-shirt.
Blake Boston is the world’s most famous scumbag—but don’t feel bad for him. With a new Scumbag Steve shirt appearing at Urban Outfitters, he’s certainly making the best of it.
Boston, 22, is the face of the popular Scumbag Steve meme: his face, topped with backwards designer cap and nestled in fur, has been the background for many slogans poking fun at obnoxious behavior.
But instead of distancing himself from his perceived douchebag persona, Boston has embraced it—and the money is coming in. Currently, in the form of one men’s sized cotton shirt in small to extra-large.
“I love you all who have my back and think I should sue urban outfitters but NO, THEY ARE DOING THIS FOR ME,” he wrote on Tumblr. “Digging them so much for this!!!”
The aspiring rapper told fans on Twitter and Tumblr that he sold his likeness to Urban Outfitters so they could make the shirt. He’ll get a cut with each shirt they sell, and announced as much on his Tumblr, feigning surprise:
“Whhhaaat? (Lol) I’m down with this, it’s coo. Finally my shirt, made by me. It’s all good, if you’ve got some love for me……. Buy the fucking thing. I’ve got a kid to feed and who’s gonna hire a scumbag?”
This is just one of the lucrative opportunities that appeared for Boston after he became a meme. He’s also partnered with Brisk Ice Tea, which used the macro for an online ad campaign. He told the Daily Dot that a Hot Topic clothing line is in the works. This line will include a copy of Steve’s iconic Scumbag Hat, which has become a meme of its own.
For now though, if you want to wear Steve’s scummy mug, Urban Outfitters is the only place its available. Boston said he’s “not sure” when the Hot Topic line is coming out.
Photo via Urban Outfitters
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.