- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Today 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Today 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Today 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Today 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Today 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Today 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Today 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Today 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Today 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Today 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Today 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Today 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Today 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Today 8:43 AM
- London’s real-time facial recognition program a ‘breathtaking assault’ on civil rights Today 8:23 AM
Twitch streamer goblincub lives at home with her family while she goes to college full time. She’s 18 years old, and as she writes on her channel bio, “streaming is still very new to me so thank you for being patient with me.”
Perhaps she should ask her mother to show the kind of mercy.
During a recent stream, goblincub—who says her real name is Mia—was discussing the lack of romantic partner in her life, and one of her fans noted that she was probably saving money by being single. She agreed with that notion.
But Mia’s mother, who was in the same room during the stream, had a slightly different idea.
“You save so much because you live with mommy,” Mia’s mother said. “That’s why.”
“I was talking to the chat, mom,” a seemingly horrified Mia said while nervously laughing.
“Mommy pays for everything,” Mommy said.
“Yeah, because I’m going to school,” Mia retorted.
“You’re barely even doing that,” her mom said. “We’ll talk about that later. But you will, right baby? She will.”
“I will,” Mia softly confirmed.
“Or,” her mom continued, “rent’s going to be due on the first every month if you’re not.”
Earlier in the chat, one of Mia’s viewers said her mother was thick. “OK,” her mom said when told about the compliment. “Well, thank you.”
But don’t think that accolade softened up Mia’s mother for the rest of Mia’s stream. In fact, she’s made it quite that she’s ready for Mia to make a change in her life. Or at least start paying to live at home. Now, everybody on Twitch knows it too.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.