- How to stream Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace Friday 10:05 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Norwich City Friday 8:55 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 Serie A season Friday 8:05 PM
- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Friday 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Friday 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Friday 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Friday 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Friday 11:53 AM
It all began when one fan tweeted to the 21-year-old actor, asking if he’d watched the segment, in which Mulaney refers to Chalamet as “the kid” and jokingly complains about his wife’s obsession with him.
Chalamet quipped back just three minutes later, “Yes I watched it from the gas station.”
yes I️ watched it from the gas station— Timothée Chalamet (@RealChalamet) April 8, 2018
The gas station detail is a clever reference to his look at the Spirit Awards, which was hosted by Mulaney and Nick Kroll. Chalamet’s choice of outfit caused him to trend on Twitter.
His fans thought it was hilarious and flooded his mentions with photoshopped images of him working at a gas station.
gas station realness pic.twitter.com/dBQP1lPIvw— ciara (@crystalreedstan) April 8, 2018
i saw u there!!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/3PFBk8Bhyv— imogen (@lwtchalamet) April 8, 2018
King of going to work pic.twitter.com/B7AkWJuIHS— matt (@chalamatt) April 8, 2018
Shouldn’t you be working and not watching videos!? pic.twitter.com/kEDI18Z8as— hi (@GAfan_28) April 8, 2018
I love 1 gas station employee— love, heather (@eliosblue) April 8, 2018
Mulaney also responded to Chalamet’s tweet and clarified that he is actually an enormous fan.
Chalamet, I joke ONLY because I am an enormous fan, in awe of your talent, & terrified of my own age and mortality. Also it turns out you are 6’0. Please accept my apology. You’re a good man and we should do the Amazin Race together if you’re free. Im free. https://t.co/oXBoo5Fsjn— John Mulaney (@mulaney) April 8, 2018
The jokes made by Mulaney can be found in Hilarity for Charity, which became available for streaming on Netflix earlier this month.
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.