- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
- Twitter users claim Billie Eilish is ‘over’ because she didn’t like Lady Gaga’s meat dress Friday 2:53 PM
- Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was fine until Dylann Roof ‘hijacked’ it Friday 2:49 PM
- How emotional labor discourse spawned multiple memes Friday 2:22 PM
- Video of YouTuber Onision threatening ex-girlfriend resurfaces Friday 2:03 PM
- Marianne Williamson embraces anti-vax stance on Facebook Friday 1:58 PM
- Peloton Husband is worried memes will have ‘repercussions’ for his career Friday 1:55 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ stumbles as it returns to a familiar planet Friday 1:47 PM
- The best app controlled Christmas lights for the holidays Friday 1:04 PM
- Go green and save green with solar-powered Christmas lights Friday 1:02 PM
- Bloomberg on diversity in 2020 race: ‘Don’t complain to me’ Friday 12:40 PM
- Midge flaunts the worst side of herself in ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ season 3 Friday 12:17 PM
- Social media companies continue to fail to police fake behavior, study finds Friday 10:44 AM
U.S. women’s gymnastics team flips out after being tweeted at by Zac Efron, Taylor Swift
Can we blame them for being pumped?
The only thing to make winning gold at the 2016 Olympics that much sweeter is to get a special congratulatory tweet from one of your idols.
That’s exactly what happened to the “Final Five,” also known as team USA’s women’s gymnastics team, which took home the gold medal in the team competition earlier this week.
And when the team’s coach showed the Final Five members Swift’s tweet, they seemed pretty excited.
Aly Raisman, the 22-year-old gymnast who won silver Thursday in the women’s all-around final, even suggested the two of them hang out if the pop star ever makes her way to Boston.
But nothing beats the Twitter flirtation that developed between Efron and newly crowned world champion, Simon Biles. On Tuesday, the 19-year-old gymnast took NBC News through a tour of her house where she showcased a life-sized cardboard cutout of the actor.
“Sometimes, I used to kiss him on the cheek,” Biles said.
From there, a Twitter friendship blossomed.
Now that Biles and Raisman took home gold and silver, respectively, for the women’s all-around final, it won’t be long before more celebs come out to celebrate. Perhaps there will even be room for Matthew McConaughey.
Alexandra Samuels is a political reporter at the Texas Tribune and contributor to the Daily Dot, where she started as an intern covering politics in the summer of 2016. She enjoys Marvel movies, baking, and reading murder-mystery novels.