- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
Taylor Swift kicked off the two-night stop of her Reputation tour in Philadelphia on Friday, where she received the surprise of a lifetime when two fans got engaged right in front of her during a meet-and-greet. Anthony and Stephanie, whose last names are unknown, both happen to be self-proclaimed Swifties who met five years ago at a concert during the “Look What You Made Me Do” singer’s Red tour.
So it only made perfect sense that the couple should make it official at an actual Swift concert, and what better way than in front of their idol in the flesh. Swift shared a photo of the engagement on her Instagram account, joking that she was the third wheel—clearly, that was anything but the case.
The engagement itself was hardly spontaneous, however.
In early June, Anthony set up a @TSphilaPROPOSAL Twitter account in the hopes of enlisting the help of other fans to get Swift’s attention. “I want to give my girlfriend the proposal of her dreams,” he first tweeted. Continued Anthony, “Taylor Swift is a huge part of our relationship. Nothing would make this proposal more special than having her there!”
I NEED YOUR HELP! I want to give my girlfriend the proposal of her dreams! Help me spread the word so Taylor can see this. #ReputationTourPhillyProposal— PHILADELPHIA SHOW PROPOSAL (@TSphilaPROPOSAL) June 3, 2018
Our love story started at a RED TOUR show in Philadelphia back in 2013. Taylor Swift is a huge part of our relationship. Nothing would make this proposal more special than having her there! #ReputationTourPhillyProposal— PHILADELPHIA SHOW PROPOSAL (@TSphilaPROPOSAL) June 3, 2018
We have spent countless hours listening to her music together. I can't thank Taylor enough for bringing us closer #ReputationTourPhillyProposal— PHILADELPHIA SHOW PROPOSAL (@TSphilaPROPOSAL) June 4, 2018
Clearly, the perseverance paid off. Anthony shared updates in the aftermath of his proposal, adding that Swift called him a “baller” and that they were incredible and should go get married. Wrote Anthony, “We have spent countless hours listening to her music together. I can’t thank Taylor enough for bringing us closer.”
She called me a baller and said that she is never surprised. She also said we were incredible and to go get married!!!! IS THIS REAL LIFE?!?! #repTourPhilly #Reptourphillyproposal #RepRoom @taylornation13 @taylorswift13— PHILADELPHIA SHOW PROPOSAL (@TSphilaPROPOSAL) July 13, 2018
WE WERE COMPLETELY PICKED AT RANDOM. TN HAD NO IDEA— PHILADELPHIA SHOW PROPOSAL (@TSphilaPROPOSAL) July 13, 2018
And hey, on top of getting engaged and meeting Taylor Swift, now Anthony and Stephanie’s love story has gone viral so I guess that’s the cherry on top of the sundae.
- The most-viewed YouTube videos of all time
- 14 mind-blowing nature and science documentaries on Netflix
- Netflix release dates: Everything to look forward to in 2018
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.