- Lawsuit alleges YouTube’s unboxing videos are ‘abusive’ ads aimed at kids 4 Months Ago
- Dr. Dre shades Lori Loughlin with Instagram flex about his daughter getting into USC 4 Months Ago
- University of Georgia frat’s racist Snapchat video draws campus outrage Today 1:21 PM
- Facing criticism for eating fish, vegan YouTube star Rawvana speaks out Today 10:47 AM
- Arnold Schwarzenegger chases mini-pony in new TikTok video Today 9:19 AM
- Review: ‘Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice’ is a cut above the rest Today 8:00 AM
- Where do 2020 Democratic candidates stand on healthcare? Today 7:30 AM
- How to (legally) stream live TV on Kodi Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Delhi Crime’ tackles inequality and women’s rights Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway for free Today 6:00 AM
- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets ‘canceled’ over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
100,000 ‘SpongeBob Squarepants’ fans sign petition for Super Bowl Halftime tribute
A petition circulating on Change.org on Friday called for a performance of “Sweet Victory” to be played during the 2019 NFL Super Bowl Halftime show. The song was featured in season 2 episode “Band Geeks,” which has a memorable halftime performance scene at the fictional Bubble Bowl. David Glen Eisley performed as SpongeBob.
“As some of you may or may not know, Stephen Hillenburg—the creator of SpongeBob Squarepants—has passed away recently,” says the petition page, created by fan Isreal Colunga. “As a tribute to his legacy, his contributions to a generation of children, and to truly showcase the greatness of this song, we call for ‘Sweet Victory’ to be performed at the Halftime Show.”
By the time of writing, more than 100,000 people had signed the petition. Maroon 5 is already set to play the Super Bowl Halftime performance on Feb. 3. But as Vice quipped, perhaps the viral request will make Adam Levine consider working in a few lines of “Sweet Victory” to his set.
Hillenberg died at the age of 57 following complications with neurodegenerative disease ALS, which he was diagnosed with last year.
- Ariana Grande’s ‘Thank U, Next’ video recreates iconic teen movies
- ‘Salad Fingers’ was viral before viral was a thing—and it’s returning
- A woman met Michael B. Jordan after asking Twitter to help her find him
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.