- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Thursday 3:30 PM
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries Thursday 3:20 PM
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Thursday 12:55 PM
- Schumer calls on FBI, FTC to investigate FaceApp Thursday 12:41 PM
- Netflix loses subscribers—but hopes some tentpole shows can save it Thursday 12:10 PM
- Man utterly roasted for saying women can’t ask for equality in revealing clothing Thursday 12:07 PM
- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body Thursday 11:14 AM
- ‘Storm Area 51’ creator says its gotten so big he’s worried about the FBI Thursday 10:49 AM
- Everyone loves Q baby, the baby who apparently supports QAnon Thursday 9:53 AM
100,000 ‘SpongeBob Squarepants’ fans sign petition for Super Bowl Halftime tribute
A petition circulating on Change.org on Friday called for a performance of “Sweet Victory” to be played during the 2019 NFL Super Bowl Halftime show. The song was featured in season 2 episode “Band Geeks,” which has a memorable halftime performance scene at the fictional Bubble Bowl. David Glen Eisley performed as SpongeBob.
“As some of you may or may not know, Stephen Hillenburg—the creator of SpongeBob Squarepants—has passed away recently,” says the petition page, created by fan Isreal Colunga. “As a tribute to his legacy, his contributions to a generation of children, and to truly showcase the greatness of this song, we call for ‘Sweet Victory’ to be performed at the Halftime Show.”
By the time of writing, more than 100,000 people had signed the petition. Maroon 5 is already set to play the Super Bowl Halftime performance on Feb. 3. But as Vice quipped, perhaps the viral request will make Adam Levine consider working in a few lines of “Sweet Victory” to his set.
Hillenberg died at the age of 57 following complications with neurodegenerative disease ALS, which he was diagnosed with last year.
- Ariana Grande’s ‘Thank U, Next’ video recreates iconic teen movies
- ‘Salad Fingers’ was viral before viral was a thing—and it’s returning
- A woman met Michael B. Jordan after asking Twitter to help her find him
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.