- iPhone overloaded? Here’s how to cancel app subscriptions Monday 11:02 PM
- Fan-created ‘app’ lets users experience the final moments of the ill-fated Jeremy Renner app Monday 10:00 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos receives lifetime ban from furry convention Monday 7:49 PM
- Snapchat just made all political ads purchased publicly available Monday 6:12 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Borussia Dortmund in Champions League action Monday 5:39 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Napoli in Champions League action Monday 5:19 PM
- How to make real money with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk Monday 5:03 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Valencia in the Champions League group stage Monday 4:47 PM
- ‘SNL’ fires Shane Gillis for racist, homophobic comments Monday 4:41 PM
- Ben Shapiro wants accusers to describe Brett Kavanaugh’s penis Monday 4:30 PM
- Twitch suspends streamer for wearing Chun-Li cosplay Monday 4:11 PM
- Report: 8 years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by prosecutors Monday 3:45 PM
- Netflix lands exclusive streaming rights to ‘Seinfeld’ Monday 3:34 PM
- Jenny Slate sets first comedy special at Netflix Monday 3:05 PM
- #EndSmearFear is aiming to save lives Monday 2:54 PM
After YouTube gossip show host Keemstar accused YouTuber Ray Diaz of having sexual relations with a minor and for abusing her during their relationship, the Los Angeles Police Department said it was investigating the issue.
In an interview on his Drama Alert YouTube show that was released Thursday, Keemstar—aka Daniel Keem—talked to Angelica Salek about her relationship with Diaz, the 33-year-old who has 304,000 YouTube subscribers.
Salek said she and Diaz began dating when she was 16 and that he emotionally and physically abused her. She didn’t outright admit they had a sexual relationship when she was underage but she certainly intimated it.
The LAPD said Thursday night it would like to know more. On Twitter, the police force wrote, “The LAPD is aware of several social media posts related to a social media personality, alleging physical abuse and sexual relations with a minor. We take these allegations seriously. Currently, the Department has directed a group of investigators to look into these allegations.”
The LAPD is aware of several social media posts related to a social media personality, alleging physical abuse and sexual relations with a minor. We take these allegations seriously. Currently, the Department has directed a group of investigators to look into these allegations.— LAPD HQ (@LAPDHQ) July 12, 2019
Keemstar, whose video is titled “LAPD ARREST him NOW!,” played an audio clip of Diaz apparently yelling at Salek, and the sounds of slapping can be heard. “It’s not about you,” a man purported to be Diaz yelled to Salek. “Do I have to get hurt every time? Yes, I do. Say yes. Admit it. Stop lying.”
Diaz had told the Hollywood Fix last week that it was a lesson in voice acting. “It was fake,” he said. “It is an acting lesson. It does sound crazy. But it’s something you learn in acting class if you study in New York City. It’s just screaming and yelling. I do this before every single audition with Angelica. It gets the juices flowing.”
In the past, Salek also said the incident was simply acting.
But Keemstar said he had obtained the full audio of the incident. In that clip, Diaz said she was a bad person and yelled at her to kill herself. “I’m tired of this,” he screamed at her. “You make me a bad person.”
In an interview with Keemstar, Salek—who has 66,000 Instagram followers—said that clip was actually not a lesson in voice acting. “He was telling me what to do, because I was so lost,” she said. “I was so scared because he had been yelling at me that I had been messing up. … I was losing my mind, really.”
Later when the police were called to Diaz’s house to search for the then-17-year-old Salek, she said that he hid her inside a bed boxspring so that she couldn’t be found.
Keemstar asked her if Diaz and Salek had a sexual relationship when she was underage. “I’m not sure how ready I am to share my life that personally,” she said. “But we were in a relationship. I do think that answers your question.”
Asked by Keemstar if statutory rape had happened, Salek didn’t answer. “It is hard for me to talk about,” she said.
During the interview, Keemstar addressed the camera and said, “LAPD, put Ray Diaz in a cage once and for all.” Salek did not disagree with that notion.
“I was always in the wrong,” she said. “Everything was always my fault. I was lost. I didn’t know what to do with myself. He made it seem like there was something to hold onto … I was mentally abused and physically abused by this guy. Something needs to happen here. I hope and pray something does.”
- Female streamer is told to ‘shut your f*cking mouth’ in vile sexist attack
- No, people aren’t getting herpes from drinking Belle Delphine’s bathwater
- John Cena got really pissed when this YouTuber wouldn’t stop filming him
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.