- Laura Ingraham mocks Rep. Ilhan Omar’s accent in audio clip Sunday 5:46 PM
- #ExposeChristianSchools goes viral after Karen Pence and Covington Catholic School uproars Sunday 4:37 PM
- People have started laundering money on Fortnite Sunday 3:03 PM
- Cardi B claps back at Tomi Lahren’s sarcastic tweet Sunday 1:25 PM
- Twitter may have exposed Android users’ private tweets Sunday 12:13 PM
- Leave Me Alurn is the ‘SNL’ product we wish existed in real life Sunday 10:06 AM
- How to watch ‘Charmed’ online for free Sunday 9:00 AM
- How to watch Patriots vs. Chiefs online for free Sunday 8:15 AM
- This is the ‘Star Wars’ VR experience you’re looking for Sunday 8:00 AM
- ‘Salt Fat Acid Heat’ takes viewers on a journey through the four building blocks of a great dish Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to tell the deep web from the dark web Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the Saints vs. Rams online for free Sunday 6:15 AM
- How to watch ‘Supergirl’ online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream the NFL conference championship games Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to watch Barcelona vs. Leganes online for free Sunday 1:00 AM
Pink shuts down troll who said she’s ‘so old,’ her name should be ‘Purple’
Pink delivered the perfect response to this age-shamer.
“Pink looks so old, she should be called Purple.”
Responding to a radio station’s tweet about a girl who sang at a concert of Pink’s, the troll wrote the “purple” cutdown. Colorful wit aside, however, the heckler’s taunt doesn’t seem to make much sense—is purple just an “old” shade of pink? Did he mean that people get more vibrant, or darker, as they age?
Wow Pink looks so old that should be named Purple instead
— Huachinango Refrito (@huachinango83) May 16, 2018
Regardless, it was a jab meant to take aim at Pink’s age, reinforcing the idea that entertainers, specifically women, are only valuable and deserve their status when they’re young. It’s a fear ingrained in celebrity culture, surrounded by costly age-defying products and procedures used to avoid the look of “age” even beyond retirement.
The painful reality is best satirized by a skit from Amy Schumer’s Comedy Central show, during which she stumbles upon Tina Fey, Patricia Arquette, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus celebrating Louis-Dreyfus’ “last fuckable day”—the day when the entertainment industry decides that women are no longer valuable for their looks—a day that never comes for men, the sketch points out.
Much to this troll’s misfortune, Pink doesn’t back down. In response to his ignorant comment, Pink told him that “there are a few people left in the world that choose to age naturally,” and she’s earned “every fucking minute of my 38 years,” before taking him down a peg by calling him her “little purple troll.”
You must be from la. Well, there are a few people left in the world that choose to age naturally. And I’ve earned every fucking minute of my 38 years. How you lookin though? Cause I never heard of ya til you put my name in your mouth. I shall call you little purple troll. https://t.co/3WcH2TRrHW
— P!nk (@Pink) May 16, 2018
She went on to tweet that she’s of the mindset that growing old is a blessing, and that it shows someone has enjoyed life.
“I pray I look older in 10 years, cause that will mean I’m alive,” Pink wrote.
Supporters of the pop star responded positively to her take down, calling out the troll for continuing the gross objectification of women in the industry.
You are real. In this fake and pretend world you always has been. Motherhood and age has come to you in most wonderful way. +Beautiful than ever
— Gaby Vergara (@vergaragabriela) May 16, 2018
How dare women age. How can we objectify them properly if they have wrinkles?
— Jenzilla (@JenKoz4) May 16, 2018
You are Fucking Perfect!!! As is your response!!!!!
— Laura Wright (@lldubs) May 16, 2018
Word. Ten years ago I couldn't have imagined I'd have two serious bouts of cancer ahead of me. Couldn't have imagined the friends who wouldn't be here alive beside me. I treasure every fucking birthday & I earned these lines. https://t.co/dnGtMa7N5a
— MaryElizabeth Williams (@embeedub) May 16, 2018
Several of Pink’s fans cheered at the concept of her still kicking and screaming on stage at nearly 40—aerial stunts included.
“You know I will! I’ll call it ‘the wrinkles and rolls tour,'” she responded.
You know I will! I’ll call it “the wrinkles and rolls tour” https://t.co/DMXdgyu3dB
— P!nk (@Pink) May 16, 2018
Wrinkles and rolls, indeed.
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.