- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? 1 Year Ago
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix 1 Year Ago
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 1 Year Ago
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Today 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Today 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Today 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Today 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Today 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Today 8:34 AM
- How to stream Bellator 218 for free Today 8:00 AM
- Jordan Peele’s ‘Us’ is already a meme gold mine Today 7:18 AM
- ‘Queen’s Shadow’ is a brilliant character study into a ‘Star Wars’ fan favorite Today 7:00 AM
- Roku vs Apple TV: Which streaming device rules them all? Today 7:00 AM
- Trans/Sex: Here’s what you need to know before having sex with a trans woman Today 6:30 AM
- How to spot a deepfake Today 6:30 AM
‘Mindhunter’ season 2 will explore the notorious Atlanta child murders
Here’s everything we know so far.
Warning: This article contains spoilers and speculation for Mindhunter season 2.
The ‘70s era series grapples with that question as FBI agent Ford Holden conducts the first criminal research of its kind on the minds of the most infamous serial killers, all while dealing with the bureaucratic concerns of the FBI, his increasingly rocky relationship, and his own insatiable ego. Without delving too deeply into the twisted timelines in season 1, let’s just say Ford discovered the hard way that there is no black and white answer.
Lucky for fans of the series, Mindhunter will continue to enthrall in its exploration of the minds of criminals during its second season. Here’s everything we know about Mindhunter season 2 so far.
Mindhunter season 2 news
Although it wasn’t formally announced until Nov. 30, Netflix renewed Mindhunter for season 2 before season 1 premiered, according to Billboard.
We need to talk to more subjects. pic.twitter.com/7pTnxAhM0G
— MINDHUNTER (@MINDHUNTER_) November 30, 2017
- The best Netflix original series
- 8 Netflix original docuseries everyone should see
- 15 Netflix original documentaries worth watching tonight
- Ranking the best Netflix original movies
Fans can also already rest assured that the series will continue after the second season. Show writer Joe Penhall said the team plans for the show to run for five seasons, according to Esquire.
Mindhunter season 2 plot: The Atlanta child murders
Fincher also told Billboard that season 2 will shift its focus to the Atlanta child murders, referring to when at least 28 African-American children, adolescents, and adults were killed in a variety of ways between 1979 and 1981.
“Next year we’re looking at the Atlanta child murders, so we’ll have a lot more African-American music which will be nice,” he said. “The music will evolve. It’s intended to support what’s happening with the show and for the show to evolve radically between seasons.”
In real life, Wayne Williams was convicted for the murders. But criminal profiler John E. Douglas—who FBI agent Holden Ford is based on—looked into the case and had a different theory. In the book Mind Hunter, which the show is based on, Douglas said the murders were never fully solved because he didn’t believe Williams committed all 28 crimes. It should be interested to watch Ford attempt to find answers.
Mindhunter season 2 cast
It’s safe to say that Groff will return for season 2 as main character Holden Ford, along with Holt McAllany as Bill Tench and Anna Torv as Dr. Wendy Carr.
Neither Netflix nor Fincher have confirmed other cast members, including who will join the cast as Wayne Williams, the man convicted of the Atlanta child murders.
- The true crime on Netflix that will leave you on the edge of your seat
- 30 movies on Netflix guaranteed to make you cry
- 6 heart-pounding kidnapping movies now streaming on Netflix
- The best thrillers on Netflix to get your heart racing
Mindhunter season 2 release date
Although the future of Mindhunters was set in stone before season 1’s premiere, Netflix has not yet set a release date for season 2.
Holt McCallany told Esquire in October that season 2 was in the pre-production stage, so fans probably won’t see the series return until 2019. We’ll likely see a Mindhunter season 2 trailer sometime in mid-2018. We’ll keep you updated.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.