- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ unmasks the time-traveling Red Angel Thursday 8:30 PM
- Everyone is making memes of Meghan McCain saying ‘my father’ on loop Thursday 8:11 PM
- Irony of Georgia’s sperm-reporting bill flies by anti-abortion advocates Thursday 7:11 PM
- Sex scandals are consuming the K-pop industry Thursday 5:44 PM
- Trump supporters are abandoning Fox News over network’s latest hire Thursday 5:20 PM
- QAnon is attacking a random woman in a disturbing and dangerous way Thursday 4:59 PM
- Google celebrates Bach with AI-powered, music-making doodle Thursday 4:53 PM
- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Thursday 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Thursday 1:06 PM
- Hundreds of millions of Facebook passwords were accessible to employees Thursday 12:55 PM
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme Thursday 12:17 PM
- Marvel is auctioning props and costumes from Netflix’s ‘Defenders’ franchise Thursday 12:12 PM
- Net neutrality advocates plan online watch party for the ‘Save the Internet’ Act Thursday 12:01 PM
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme Thursday 11:46 AM
- Auschwitz Memorial asks visitors to stop taking playful photos at Holocaust site Thursday 11:33 AM
Missy Elliott joins Michelle Obama and James Corden for a special Carpool Karaoke
A very special tour of the White House.
James Corden’s recurring Carpool Karaoke segment on The Late Late Show usually features a musician singing his or her own hits (for the most part), but Michelle Obama uses it more like the rest of us: to rock out to everyone else’s favorite songs.
Corden and Obama drive around the White House—as Barack Obama explained on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee last year, he can’t leave the White House to drive around Washington, D.C. with host Jerry Seinfeld—and even that’s a treat for Obama, who doesn’t get to just ride in the passenger’s seat and jam to music. They reminisce on what she’ll miss most about living in the White House and what she’s looking forward. Obama also brings attention to her Let Girls Learn initiative before digging into the main course: a rendition of the song she commissioned earlier this year, “This Is For My Girls.”
We don’t imagine most rides include a surprise appearance from Missy Elliott, but the duo fully embrace it. Plus it gives us the image of Obama rapping with Elliott, which is a delight in itself.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.