- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Friday 10:34 AM
- Did Martha McSally plan her ‘liberal hack’ viral moment? Friday 10:32 AM
Did you know Halloween is also “All I Want For Christmas Is You” Eve?
If you haven’t already heard Mariah Carey’s unavoidable holiday song somewhere in the world, as the gap between Halloween and Christmas gets smaller and smaller every year, she’s here to remind us that her royalties are about to start flowing in again.
In a video posted at 2am, Carey, who apparently went as the hair-metal version of Mimi for Halloween, showed what happens at midnight on Nov. 1.
Breaking news ❄️ pic.twitter.com/PBwOYLRpJK— Mariah Carey (@MariahCarey) November 1, 2019
According to the Twitter account Chart Data, the song broke a Spotify record in 2018 for single-day streams, seeing more than 10 million streams on Dec. 24 and beating XXXTentacion’s previous record in June 2018. The Economist reported in 2017 that the song, which is 25 years old this year, has netted Carey more than $60 million in royalties, with a majority coming from streams.
.@MariahCarey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" has broken the global Spotify record for biggest single day (10,819,009 streams on 12/24).— chart data (@chartdata) December 25, 2018
While the song typically hits the Billboard charts in early December (at least since 2012, when older songs were allowed on), last year “All I Want For Christmas Is You” made its earliest appearance yet, charting in mid-November. If that trend is any indication, 2019 will see the highest “AIWFCIY” concentration yet. The memes are already here.
Me on Oct 31 Me on Nov 1 pic.twitter.com/saXjIgjN8n— Music Box (@meltriahaway) October 30, 2019
Asked about the 25th anniversary of the song, Carey told USA Today that she doesn’t really “acknowledge time,” something she reinforced a few months ago when she refused to acknowledge FaceApp. Mariah Carey has always been here.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.