- TikTok users jokingly wear big hats to sneak snacks into movie theaters 2 Weeks Ago
- Why today’s new facially recognition bill is being called ‘woefully’ inadequate 2 Weeks Ago
- Facebook has given more user data to the government than ever before Today 2:57 PM
- Instagram included in Facebook transparency report for the first time Today 1:46 PM
- PayPal pulls out of Pornhub, leaving sex workers to consider cryptocurrency Today 1:46 PM
- Billionaires are resorting to making racist jokes against Warren now Today 1:30 PM
- What is the meme of the decade? Today 1:07 PM
- At least 5 employees resign from GitHub, citing ICE contract Today 12:57 PM
- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ redesign was led by a ‘Sonic’ artist Today 12:17 PM
- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard Today 11:24 AM
- This group is scanning thousands of faces in Congress today to protest facial recognition Today 11:09 AM
- Why is everyone debating Pete Buttigieg’s Medicare for All stance? Today 10:47 AM
- The Motorola Razr is a foldable homage to millennial nostalgia Today 10:22 AM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme gets much more literal on TikTok Today 10:20 AM
- MrDeadMoth avoids jail time for assaulting pregnant partner during live stream Today 9:21 AM
Did you know Halloween is also “All I Want For Christmas Is You” Eve?
If you haven’t already heard Mariah Carey’s unavoidable holiday song somewhere in the world, as the gap between Halloween and Christmas gets smaller and smaller every year, she’s here to remind us that her royalties are about to start flowing in again.
In a video posted at 2am, Carey, who apparently went as the hair-metal version of Mimi for Halloween, showed what happens at midnight on Nov. 1.
Breaking news ❄️ pic.twitter.com/PBwOYLRpJK— Mariah Carey (@MariahCarey) November 1, 2019
According to the Twitter account Chart Data, the song broke a Spotify record in 2018 for single-day streams, seeing more than 10 million streams on Dec. 24 and beating XXXTentacion’s previous record in June 2018. The Economist reported in 2017 that the song, which is 25 years old this year, has netted Carey more than $60 million in royalties, with a majority coming from streams.
.@MariahCarey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" has broken the global Spotify record for biggest single day (10,819,009 streams on 12/24).— chart data (@chartdata) December 25, 2018
While the song typically hits the Billboard charts in early December (at least since 2012, when older songs were allowed on), last year “All I Want For Christmas Is You” made its earliest appearance yet, charting in mid-November. If that trend is any indication, 2019 will see the highest “AIWFCIY” concentration yet. The memes are already here.
Me on Oct 31 Me on Nov 1 pic.twitter.com/saXjIgjN8n— Stream All I Want for Christmas Is You❄🎄 (@meltriahaway) October 30, 2019
Asked about the 25th anniversary of the song, Carey told USA Today that she doesn’t really “acknowledge time,” something she reinforced a few months ago when she refused to acknowledge FaceApp. Mariah Carey has always been here.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.