- Reddit AITA: Man verbally abused partner through cat impersonations Monday 7:18 PM
- Facebook finally lets you kill distracting navigation bar notifications Monday 6:14 PM
- Artist says Thinx underwear campaign ripped off their memes (updated) Monday 5:48 PM
- Google reportedly gathering millions of Americans’ personal health records Monday 5:00 PM
- Trina goes off on Walmart shopper who allegedly called her the ‘N-word’ Monday 4:14 PM
- Bored of Helvetica? iOS users finally have some new font options Monday 4:00 PM
- Amid panic, YouTube says new terms of service won’t impact creators Monday 3:56 PM
- Opposing sides fight to control online narrative over Bolivian ‘coup’ Monday 3:50 PM
- How to sign up for the Disney+ bundle Monday 3:35 PM
- Instagram covers video costs for celebs who don’t get political Monday 3:30 PM
- T.I.’s daughter apparently unfollowed her dad on Instagram after hymen comment Monday 3:26 PM
- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok Monday 3:09 PM
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood Monday 2:44 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Monday 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Monday 1:29 PM
If you can’t stand the heat, get out of Mac Lethal’s kitchen
What’s the connection between Mac Lethal and Texts from Bennett?
It seems easier to invite Mila Kunis to your dance than it is to strike Internet meme lightning twice in 24 hours. But musician Mac Lethal might have proved otherwise.
Lethal’s first viral sensation came Wednesday morning when he remade Chris Brown’s “Look at Me Now.” Lethal refocused the song from getting paper to, well, getting pancakes, and he sung it over a skillet in a kitchen. The video has racked up more than 1.1 million views and landed on Reddit’s front page.
The video quickly garnered positive reaction, with more than 31,000 likes and 5,000 mostly-positive comments. Even Lethal’s Facebook page blew up with compliments and praise.
Then, on Wednesday evening, a Tumblr called “Texts from Bennett,” landed on our meme-spotting radar thanks to a thread on Reddit titled “Bennett seems like an outstanding individual….”
The blog posts screenshots of conversations between Bennett, a wannabe gang member who knows more Ebonics than English, and his cousin. The amusing conversation snippets include confusing Vincent Van Gogh and Vince Vaughn and why Bennett found himself in jail.
So what’s the connection between the pancake batter and Bennett? Bennett is allegedly Lethal’s cousin, although not everyone is convinced.
Gawker discovered a Facebook update linking Bennett and his cousin from late October, and a Reddit commenter also concluded the same thing. The same redditor, Metalstar00, wrote that there was a Facebook fan page dedicated to Bennett’s texts, but it has since been pulled, which probably explains the Tumblr.
The Tumblr’s first post is from Nov. 12, placing it a few weeks after Lethal promoted the old Facebook page, on Oct. 28.
“I knew him back in the day, was a big supporter until his true colors showed. He doesn’t have a cousin named Bennett. He changes the names of his friend in his phone and tells them what to text him in advance, then he takes a screen shot,” wrote Chataya.
Chataya also wrote that Facebook didn’t shut down the page because Bennett didn’t know of it but rather because it was fake.
Real or not, Lethal still hit meme-gold twice in a day.
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.