- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? 3 Years Ago
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee 3 Years Ago
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment 3 Years Ago
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook 3 Years Ago
- Uncanny ‘Back to the Future’ deepfake transports Tom Holland and Robert Downey, Jr. to 1985 3 Years Ago
- Everyone is doing the Renegade. Including the teen who started it Today 9:23 AM
- Reality Winner is asking for clemency—will she get it? Today 7:59 AM
- There’s a Baby Yoda mod for ‘Star Wars: Battlefront II’ Today 7:38 AM
- ‘Bachelor’ contestant apologizes for ‘White Lives Matter’ photo shoot Today 12:13 AM
- ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ sets box office record for video game movies Sunday 8:15 PM
- Truck driver allegedly watching porn kills teen driver in a car crash Sunday 6:44 PM
- Is the Buttigieg campaign behind this pro-Pete Nigerian Twitter account? Sunday 4:58 PM
- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics Sunday 3:52 PM
- Justin Bieber slid into the DMs of someone who hated his new album Sunday 1:05 PM
- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown Sunday 12:10 PM
As Cosmopolitan magazine notes, beyond the spandex, slides, and robe it was a game-changing debut outfit for Kardashian that caught the paparazzi’s attention: “[W]hile the Selfish author is no stranger to nudity, freeing the nipple on the street versus on a private beach in Mexico is somewhat new territory for Kim.”
Screengrab via Pinterest/Cosmopolitan
Beyond the eye-popping outfit, Kardashian became an indirect icon of the #FreeTheNipple movement via Wednesday’s photos. A decentralized social media campaign, its advocates criticize social media platforms like Instagram for censoring women’s nipples. As the Daily Dot wrote in a 2014 opinion column:
Facebook and Instagram’s perception of female nudity is undeniably shaped by the straight men who found and run social media services… As women, we live, play, and communicate according to rules determined by straight male attitudes.
Indeed, as Cosmo predicted, other publications like the Daily Mail instantly censored Kardashian’s nipples—and drew online outrage from readers in the process.
Kim K.: Modern icon.
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.