- Why Tumblr is totally obsessed with two characters from Stephen King’s ‘IT’ 3 Years Ago
- Game developer Chucklefish accused of whitewashing characters of color Monday 5:22 PM
- Apple TV’s ‘Hala’ is a silent explosion of a coming-of-age film Monday 5:20 PM
- This new video game apparently lets you play Jesus Monday 4:02 PM
- Golden toilet creator sells world’s most expensive banana—only for another artist to eat it Monday 3:24 PM
- This new Chinese video game lets players attack Hong Kong protesters Monday 3:05 PM
- These TikTok videos that recreate NPC interactions from Skyrim are honestly incredible Monday 2:40 PM
- John Legend defends pro-consent ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ lyrics Monday 2:38 PM
- Video shows UC Berkeley student using racial slurs, making homophobic comments Monday 2:36 PM
- New video reveals Brother Nature instigated sandwich shop fight Monday 2:06 PM
- Lizzo’s thong dress breaks the internet Monday 1:25 PM
- Pixel Buds 2 or Apple AirPods 2: Which are right for you? Monday 1:09 PM
- It’s 2019: Make your holiday cards online, for free this year Monday 12:47 PM
- Fighting over the ‘Marriage Story’ fight scene becomes a meme Monday 12:41 PM
- ‘Trump is innocent!’: InfoWars correspondent interrupts impeachment hearing Monday 12:12 PM
Comedian Kathy Griffin is holding President Donald Trump‘s lifeless, bloody head in a new photoshoot. It’s a creative partnership with provocateur photographer Tyler Shields, and TMZ landed the photos on Tuesday prior to their official release.
Love the president or find him tedious, mean, and embarrassing, this shoot is certainly reverse-engineered to be bold. No word yet on whether the photos are part of a larger series, or tied to one of Griffin’s upcoming projects.
2/ OBVIOUSLY, I do not condone ANY violence by my fans or others to anyone, ever! I'm merely mocking the Mocker in Chief.— Kathy Griffin (@kathygriffin) May 30, 2017
Though Griffin says she doesn’t condone violence and that she is just “mocking” the president, let me synthesize how conservatives, and even some liberals, are feeling based on a few of the initial 4,230 comments.
@TMZ Great non volient message from the peaceful liberals NOT— Roy B (@Roy1911_45) May 30, 2017
Right-wing blogs, like Breitbart, referred to the project as art, but naturally in quotation marks. They added secondary grafs about Hollywood liberals and their disdain for the commander-in-chief.
As TMZ points out, Trump has been attacked for dog-whistling hatred and inciting violence. Did the veteran comedian do the same here? Or was this basically subversive imagery done in suspect taste?
Update 10:00pm CT, May 30: Griffin apologized via Twitter about the shoot, saying that it went too far.
I am sorry. I went too far. I was wrong. pic.twitter.com/LBKvqf9xFB— Kathy Griffin (@kathygriffin) May 30, 2017
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.