- Game developer Chucklefish accused of whitewashing characters of color Monday 5:22 PM
- Apple TV’s ‘Hala’ is a silent explosion of a coming-of-age film Monday 5:20 PM
- This new video game apparently lets you play Jesus Monday 4:02 PM
- Golden toilet creator sells world’s most expensive banana—only for another artist to eat it Monday 3:24 PM
- This new Chinese video game lets players attack Hong Kong protesters Monday 3:05 PM
- These TikTok videos that recreate NPC interactions from Skyrim are honestly incredible Monday 2:40 PM
- John Legend defends pro-consent ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ lyrics Monday 2:38 PM
- Video shows UC Berkeley student using racial slurs, making homophobic comments Monday 2:36 PM
- New video reveals Brother Nature instigated sandwich shop fight Monday 2:06 PM
- Lizzo’s thong dress breaks the internet Monday 1:25 PM
- Pixel Buds 2 or Apple AirPods 2: Which are right for you? Monday 1:09 PM
- It’s 2019: Make your holiday cards online, for free this year Monday 12:47 PM
- Fighting over the ‘Marriage Story’ fight scene becomes a meme Monday 12:41 PM
- ‘Trump is innocent!’: InfoWars correspondent interrupts impeachment hearing Monday 12:12 PM
- Video shows runner smacking reporter’s butt on live TV Monday 11:46 AM
Petition to deport Justin Bieber hits 100,000-signature threshold
We the people want “the dangerous, reckless, destructive, and drug abusing, Justin Bieber deported and his green card revoked.”
A White House petition to get pop star Justin Bieber deported to Canada has collected more than 100,000 digital signatures.
The We The People petition calls for “the dangerous, reckless, destructive, and drug abusing, Justin Bieber deported and his green card revoked” following his arrest Thursday for street racing while under the influence of alcohol.
“He is not only threatening the safety of our people but he is also a terrible influence on our nations youth,” the petition states. “We the people would like to remove Justin Bieber from our society.”
Having passed the 100,000 signature threshold, the petition has guaranteed an official response from the Obama administration. One of these signatures was from actor Drake Bell, whose tweet linking to the petition was retweeted more than 1,800 times.
https://t.co/dUmUrRkKxZ become a part of the movement!!!
— Drake Bell (@DrakeBell) January 27, 2014
The question of whether Bieber could be legally deported has dogged the 19-year-old since he was busted on the streets of Miami.
Legal experts interviewed by CNN and USA Today say it would be difficult to deport the singer unless he faced stiffer legal penalties.
“IF Bieber were charged with a felony and IF he were to be convicted, then his residency status in the USA could be affected,” USA Today reported. “Foreigners such as Bieber who are legal permanent residents can be deported if convicted of a serious crime, and the list of crimes that qualify has grown in recent years with America’s growing exasperation with criminal immigrants. This includes Canadians, too.”
Following his arrest, a group of 4chan pranksters has tried to convince his impressionable fans to kill themselves (#EndBieber), starve themselves (#StarvingBieber), or get themselves arrested (#Cuffs4Bieber) out of solidarity with the troubled celebrity.
Photo by s_eckert/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.