- The ultimate cord-cutting guide for bilingual families Today 5:00 AM
- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos
Academy Award winner Jon Voight posted a two-part Twitter video on Friday reiterating his support for President Donald Trump. In the video, he said Trump was the greatest president since Abraham Lincoln–and Twitter has feelings.
“Don’t be fooled by the political left because we are the people of this nation that is witnessing triumph. So let us stand with our president, let us stand up for this truth that President Trump is the greatest president since Abraham Lincoln,” Voight said in the video.
To my fellow Americans. Part 1. pic.twitter.com/srw4zXCRKJ
— Jon Voight (@jonvoight) May 25, 2019
To my fellow Americans. Part 2. pic.twitter.com/uhqpbzwHhS
— Jon Voight (@jonvoight) May 25, 2019
Even though he received tons of support under the post, the left that he so openly bashed has feelings regarding Voight’s remarks.
Twitter won’t take down a doctored video of Speaker Pelosi that was posted to suggest she has failing health but they are sending push notifications regarding Jon Voight’s support for Trump. You didn’t need Jack sitting in the oval to know who this company is backing in 2020.
— Adam Parkhomenko (@AdamParkhomenko) May 25, 2019
Jon Voight defending the current Republican Party and saying "we have a moral code of duty, passed on from President Lincoln" is just another dog whistle to racists. It's offensive and despicable and should be called out for exactly what it is. pic.twitter.com/B0Tcc9gicB
— Amee Vanderpool (@girlsreallyrule) May 25, 2019
Let us stand up for this truth, you are an old, privileged, decrepit, fossil of a white man, from a bygone era, who is publicly supporting a pathological liar, deranged narcissist, sexual predator, and white supremacist.
— Bishop Talbert Swan (@TalbertSwan) May 25, 2019
Many commented on his complicated relationship with his own children, including Angelina Jolie–who also began trending after his posts.
Every time Jon Voight talks, I understand why even his own kids ignore him.
— Michelle (@SoSofieFatale) May 25, 2019
Trump has the support of men whose children don't speak to them (Jon Voight), men who hit their wives (Rob Porter), men who call their wives "Mother" (Pence), pedophiles (Roy Moore), men who harass women (Bill O'Reilly) and a fussy butler from a 70s sit-com (Lindsey Graham)
— Paul Rudnick (@PaulRudnickNY) May 25, 2019
While family issues should be a personal matter, his relationship with Jolie is relevant because of Trump’s remorseless and relentless comments about her looks in the past. Jolie is not the only woman Trump has ever bashed, but it does pose the question of how this hasn’t affected his perception of Trump.
Voight, a former supporter of the Democratic party, has also been openly critical of Barack Obama when he was president, and that wasn’t lost on Twitter. It added salt to the wound to watch him compare Trump to Lincoln.
So….. Jon Voight declaring Donald Trump as the greatest President since Abraham Lincoln. But…. when you know he was a Democrat who became a Republican when Barack Obama became the presidential candidate…. and he actually believes Obama founded ISIS. pic.twitter.com/Dg1xn0ZbZy
— Stephanie (@stephanietega) May 25, 2019
You've gone full Dershowitz too. Comparing Trump to Lincoln is an obscenity. Trump is slowly losing battles on all fronts to hide that he is a mobster with ties to the Russian mafia. What happened in Austria also happened in the UK w/Brexit and here with Trump. Stay awake.
— m a s o n (@DMasonWest) May 25, 2019
Needless to say, there were a lot of Anaconda references.
jon voight's best work was when the snake gobbled him in anaconda (spoiler) https://t.co/NxX3Xm0vNN
— Oliver Willis (@owillis) May 25, 2019
I haven't been this disappointed in a Jon Voight performance since Anaconda.
— JenWoodward (@JenWoodward10) May 25, 2019
Even though it’s only an hour & a half, somehow this movie has time for the “anaconda eats all of Jon Voight” scene. pic.twitter.com/ftDTpvmZtk
— Travis Wladkowski (@The_5th_Turtle) May 23, 2019
This isn’t the first time Voight has defended Trump. He received backlash in the past, with Robert De Niro calling him “delusional.”
It’s been less than 24 hours since his posts, so there will likely be a lot more Anaconda jokes and Angelina Jolie references on Twitter over the weekend.
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level
- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque