- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
Jon Stewart delivered the perfect takedown of how the media have portrayed Caitlyn Jenner’s transition on The Daily Show on Tuesday.
Stewart is known for his brilliant news commentary, but his commentary on Caitlyn Jenner’s coverage is especially spot-on. Stewart takes sharp aim at petty media trends, and reveals a lot about what’s wrong with the way we treat women today in America.
As Stewart puts it, we haven’t just accepted Jenner as a woman; we’re wasting no time in treating her like one.
The first huge trend to emerge has been to call Jenner “beautiful.” While praising Jenner for her good looks may appear supportive, Stewart sharply points out that it’s a totally reductive path.
“You see, Caitlyn, when you were a man, we could talk about your athleticism, your business acumen. But now you’re a woman; your looks are really the only thing we care about!”
Stewart goes on to explain “phase two of [Jenner’s] transition: comparative fuckability.”
Jenner has been compared to several women from Jessica Lange, to—somewhat mean-spiritedly—Kris Jenner, and—even more bafflingly—stepdaughter Kim Kardashian.
“We want to give a woman a compliment here; we just want to make sure another woman gets taken down a peg in the process!” quips Stewart.
Then Stewart points out the final phase of the transition: Reminding a woman she has an expiration date. Many were quick to point out how good Jenner looks “for her age.”
“You came out at 65. You’ve got another two years before you become invisible to society,” chides Stewart.
Finally, Stewart congratulates Jenner and welcomes her to being a woman in America.
Screengrab via Comedy Central
Nayomi Reghay is a frequent contributor to the Daily Dot, covering body positivity, feminism, sex, relationships, and gender. She is also the author of the advice column “Swipe This!” A former New York Teaching Fellow, her writing has been featured in Reductress, Rolling Stone, Mic, Someecards, and more.