- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend 2 Years Ago
- What is the Hinge dating app, and how does it work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Inside Bill’s Brain’ is nothing more than a Bill Gates infomercial Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! He hasn’t texted me back. Should I text him again? Today 6:00 AM
- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
- How to stream Falcons vs. Colts in Week 3 Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped Wednesday 3:19 PM
- Facebook and Ray-Ban want to replace smartphones with smart glasses Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Sirfetch’d is the gallant new Pokémon winning everyone’s heart Wednesday 3:09 PM
The infamous Golden Raspberry Awards (A.K.A. the Razzies) announced the annual nominations for the worst of Hollywood on Monday, just one day before the Academy Awards nominations go live. Most of the nominations made perfect sense: No one needed a fifth Transformers and certainly, no one asked for an animated movie about emoji in 2017. But Mother! fans were particularly dismayed to see the film earn a nomination for worst director and that Jennifer Lawrence was nominated for worst actress
The mock awards show unveiled the list with a with a video called “how to protect humanity from toxic waste.” “Welcome to the 38th Razzie Nominees,” the announcement said. “Simply defined, Razzie hazardous waste is material with properties that make it dangerous or capable of having a harmful effect on human health or the environment.”
The fifth Transformers movie, called Transformers XVII: The Last Knight in the announcement, led with seven nominations, including worst picture, worst actor for Mark Wahlberg, worst supporting actor for Josh Duhamel, worst supporting Actress for Laura Haddock, and worst director for Michael Bay. Other movies to get a flurry of nominations included The Mummy, Fifty Shades Darker, and The Emoji Movie.
But Lawrence fans were furious. Some even went as far as to argue that Lawrence deserves an Oscar for her performance, not a Razzie.
There is always at least one head scratcher choice in. the #Razzies and this year that is nominating Jennifer Lawrence for a wonderful performance in questionable movie. It would have made more sense nominating the movie not her performance. #RazzieAwards— Chaotic Soul (@ChaoticSoul5) January 22, 2018
I AM NOT HERE TO APPRECIATE SLANDER TOWARDS JENNIFER LAWRENCE JN MOTHER! HER PERFORMANCE WAS WAY TOO FUCKING GREAT— puta (@KATNlSSLAWRENCE) January 22, 2018
They nominated Jennifer Lawrence for their shitty little "award" because they know she's popular and the outrage would lead to site clicks. End of story. Don't fall for it.— Scott Weinberg (@scottEweinberg) January 22, 2018
I wouldnt usually give a shit about things like the @RazzieAwards But the fact that Jennifer Lawrence has been nominated for her performance in Mother! is ridiculous - she was *completely* astonishing in that film and deserves an Oscar nomination, if not a win.— Christopher Haydon (@chrishaydon99) January 22, 2018
Oh boy I wonder what the Razzie nominations are?!— DavidWasHere (@Davidwash3r3) January 22, 2018
*JENNIFER LAWRENCE NOMINATED FOR WORST ACTRESS FOR MOTHER*
Your dead to me more than you already are Razzies
People thinking that Jennifer Lawrence didn't pour out every inch of her incredibly talented soul out in mother! are wrong. #RazzieAwards— Katie Holloway (@katiesnotebook) January 22, 2018
Some critics, however, agreed that Lawrence rightfully earned the nomination.
If she were a more talented, less overrated actress, I could see the shock, but she takes every role her agent lands her, in both good and bad movies. This isn't surprising at all. https://t.co/cXGiMlOMMa— Dalton Marshall (@DaltDisney) January 22, 2018
Jennifer Lawrence being nominated for Worst Actress in MOTHER! only proves how awful that film truly is, especially as her performance was probably the best aspect.— Samuel James (@SJMJ91) January 22, 2018
Jennifer Lawrence needs to be given a lifetime achievement razzie mostly off of silver linings playbook, one of the worst movies i’ve ever seen— Jaim (@OptimusJaim) January 22, 2018
Unfortunately for the haters, the only way to vote in the Razzies is by paying to become a member.
Razzie winners will be announced on March 3, the day before the Oscars ceremony.
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.