- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
You probably know Demi Lovato as a pop star—or maybe you recognize her from her time on the Disney Channel—but her new job title supersedes both of her old gigs. Lovato’s now a thirst trap expert.
The 25-year-old “Sorry Not Sorry” singer unintentionally put on a modern romance clinic Tuesday, and fans were able to track it through the Instagram notifications. It all started with Lovato following the actor Henry Cavill. He’s British, apparently single, and happens to play Superman (so he’s not too rough on the eyes). Celebrities follow one another all the time, though—there’s nothing explicitly flirty in that gesture alone.
However, 22 seconds after her follow, Lovato posted a pic of herself in a lacy white bodysuit with a robe draped over her shoulders. And immediately after that, she hopped into Cavill’s recent pics and liked two different shots of him with his jiujitsu coach.
In other words, within a 30-second period, Lovato initiated a follow, posted a fire selfie, and then broke the seal on liking pics of one another. Eagle-eyed fan @imnocrybaby caught a screenshot of the notifications in real time:
Without sliding into their “other” DM box, this is pretty much as up-front as you can be with someone who doesn’t follow you back on Instagram. For the record, here is said pic of Lovato in her bodysuit:
It’s almost as if the subtext of her Instagram activity was, “Hello, Harry Cavill, please look at this photo of me. Thanks in advance.”
Fans were shaken.
OMG DEMI KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT SHE IS DOING I LOVEEE THIS BITCH SO MUCH pic.twitter.com/k7EPIifjtu— • (@imnocrybaby) January 30, 2018
Can we even blame Demi Lovato for thirsting on Henry Cavill? Let's be serious here.— Dennis (@DenTehsupercow) January 30, 2018
all of twitter rn tryna live vicariously through demi lovato as she gets that henry cavill dick pic.twitter.com/jkjDdQmkhS— wan isn't dead and i have proof (@lgbtkenobi) January 30, 2018
Buzzfeed in two hours: 10 Reasons Demi Lovato and Henry Cavill Should Date in 2018— G (@thirtysixnine) January 30, 2018
And it looks like the gesture worked! Cavill eventually liked one of Lovato’s selfies (though a decidedly more-clothed option) and added the comment, “Nice one Miss Lovato!”
The thumbs-up emoji isn’t the most romantic choice in the world—but it’s a start.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.