- New Netflix feature broadcasts what you’re watching via Instagram Tuesday 6:11 PM
- Videos show alleged Covington teens harassing women, making rape jokes at march Tuesday 4:13 PM
- MAGA teen gets ‘Today Show’ interview—and people are pissed Tuesday 3:38 PM
- Family says hacker sent fake North Korean missile warning through Nest camera Tuesday 2:42 PM
- This Arizona bill would tax internet porn to fund a border wall Tuesday 2:41 PM
- This meme is asking people how they draw the letter X Tuesday 1:18 PM
- Charlie Kirk’s love of U.S. healthcare system put to the test after back problems Tuesday 1:12 PM
- Fyre Fest caterer who was left broke has received $160,000 in donations Tuesday 12:58 PM
- The YouTuber who taught a dog to give the Nazi salute on command can’t find a job Tuesday 12:24 PM
- The ‘oh yeah yeah’ meme is flooding YouTube—and KSI can’t deal Tuesday 12:20 PM
- Did this d*ck-drawing Instagram star steal her gag from a rival runner? Tuesday 12:00 PM
- Rep. Steve King, best known for his racism, tweets a fake MLK quote Tuesday 11:54 AM
- Facebook is helping husbands ‘brainwash’ their wives with targeted ads Tuesday 11:35 AM
- Twitch streamer Pink_Sparkles responds to gamers who don’t think she belongs Tuesday 11:29 AM
- ‘Black Panther’ nabs 7 Oscar nominations, including best picture Tuesday 10:49 AM
You probably know Demi Lovato as a pop star—or maybe you recognize her from her time on the Disney Channel—but her new job title supersedes both of her old gigs. Lovato’s now a thirst trap expert.
The 25-year-old “Sorry Not Sorry” singer unintentionally put on a modern romance clinic Tuesday, and fans were able to track it through the Instagram notifications. It all started with Lovato following the actor Henry Cavill. He’s British, apparently single, and happens to play Superman (so he’s not too rough on the eyes). Celebrities follow one another all the time, though—there’s nothing explicitly flirty in that gesture alone.
However, 22 seconds after her follow, Lovato posted a pic of herself in a lacy white bodysuit with a robe draped over her shoulders. And immediately after that, she hopped into Cavill’s recent pics and liked two different shots of him with his jiujitsu coach.
In other words, within a 30-second period, Lovato initiated a follow, posted a fire selfie, and then broke the seal on liking pics of one another. Eagle-eyed fan @imnocrybaby caught a screenshot of the notifications in real time:
Without sliding into their “other” DM box, this is pretty much as up-front as you can be with someone who doesn’t follow you back on Instagram. For the record, here is said pic of Lovato in her bodysuit:
It’s almost as if the subtext of her Instagram activity was, “Hello, Harry Cavill, please look at this photo of me. Thanks in advance.”
Fans were shaken.
OMG DEMI KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT SHE IS DOING I LOVEEE THIS BITCH SO MUCH pic.twitter.com/k7EPIifjtu
— • (@imnocrybaby) January 30, 2018
Can we even blame Demi Lovato for thirsting on Henry Cavill? Let's be serious here.
— Dennis (@DenTehsupercow) January 30, 2018
all of twitter rn tryna live vicariously through demi lovato as she gets that henry cavill dick pic.twitter.com/jkjDdQmkhS
— wan isn't dead and i have proof (@lgbtkenobi) January 30, 2018
Buzzfeed in two hours: 10 Reasons Demi Lovato and Henry Cavill Should Date in 2018
— G (@thirtysixnine) January 30, 2018
And it looks like the gesture worked! Cavill eventually liked one of Lovato’s selfies (though a decidedly more-clothed option) and added the comment, “Nice one Miss Lovato!”
The thumbs-up emoji isn’t the most romantic choice in the world—but it’s a start.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.