- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
Netflix says Danny Masterson is off ‘The Ranch’ following rape reports
Danny Masterson has reportedly been written out of Netflix’s comedy The Ranch after multiple rape reports against the actor. In a statement Tuesday, a spokesperson for the streaming giant said, “As a result of ongoing discussions, Netflix and the producers have written Danny Masterson out of The Ranch, … Yesterday was his last day on the show, and production will resume in early 2018 without him.”
The news comes days after reports that the company might have been dragging its feet on Masterson’s case, a surprise considering its swift removal of Kevin Spacey from House of Cards just a month ago. This past weekend, a Netflix executive named Andy Yeatman reportedly told a woman the company “doesn’t believe” Masterson’s accusers when he was approached at a kids’ soccer game.
3. Breaking: Netflix has ousted @dannymasterson from "The Ranch" amid multiple rape allegations. For the first time in fifteen years, the four women who say that Masterson raped them feel like they've been heard. https://t.co/nQgyXJOe92
— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) December 5, 2017
Masterson’s departure comes amid mounting pressure: Four women have said that the actor raped them. In late November, At the Drive-In frontman Cedric Bixler-Zavala tweeted a thread on behalf of his wife Chrissie Carnell Bixler, who claims the former That 70s Show star raped her and that the Church of Scientology is impeding the investigation. The Los Angeles County District Attorney and Los Angeles Police Department are both currently investigating allegations against Masterson.
Part four of The Ranch is still set to premiere on Dec. 15 as scheduled, with additional episodes coming sometime in 2018. Netflix has not yet addressed whether Masterson will be allowed to keep his executive producer credit on the series.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.