- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping 3 Years Ago
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Today 1:24 PM
- Trump thinks Google made 16 million people vote for Clinton Today 12:54 PM
- Danny McBride’s ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ is a wicked televangelist comedy Today 12:46 PM
- Facebook-branded coffee shops are coming Today 12:36 PM
- Twitter hosts China-backed ads maligning Hong Kong protesters Today 12:27 PM
- Jason Momoa says the ‘Justice League’ Snyder cut is ‘ssssiiicccckkkkkk’ Today 12:06 PM
- Kevin Smith announces a He-Man reboot for Netflix Today 11:51 AM
- Kellyanne Conway brushes off recession fears, calls it ‘Sesame Street word of the day’ Today 11:05 AM
- Conservatives are livid the New York Times is writing articles about slavery Today 10:52 AM
- Iceland holds funeral for first glacier to melt Today 10:44 AM
- Nonprofit fanfiction database Archive of Our Own wins a Hugo Today 9:59 AM
- Dan Carlin’s ‘War Remains’ is a stunning VR pop-up Today 9:27 AM
- Your wireless data is probably being throttled, study finds Today 9:25 AM
- Mike Judge’s dystopian comedy ‘Idiocracy’ is now streaming on Netflix Today 8:00 AM
Carrie Fisher’s ‘Saturday Night Live’ episode from 1978 is a must-watch
Her comedic side really shines.
Fans are taking a deep dive into decades of Carrie Fisher’s work after her death Tuesday, and while Star Wars, her memoirs and novels, and her one-woman show Wishful Drinking are on top of many lists, her comedic turn on Saturday Night Live is well worth a revisit.
Fisher only hosted SNL once, on Nov. 18, 1978—about 18 months after A New Hope’s release turned her into a household name—with musical guest the Blues Brothers, with whom she would later star in a movie. And it was Princess Leia she embraced as she walked out onto the main stage decked out in Leia’s famous Star Wars costume. She even had a Bantha joke fresh from Obi-Wan Kenobi.
After the monologue, Fisher—still donning Leia’s trademark buns—is transported to a cheesy ’50s teen beach movie complete with a fitting costume change and a musical ode to Obi-Wan Kenobi. And if anyone can handle a skeevy Bill Murray character, it’s Leia (and Fisher).
[Placeholder for https://www.facebook.com/StarWarsArchives/videos/626433547383960/ video embed.]
While it’s not one of SNL’s most famous episodes, it’s certainly gotten some love from fans over the years—even before Fisher’s death.
The Carrie Fisher ep of SNL is crazy. She and Bill Murray make out on a beach, then they all sing "Obi-Wan Kenobi!" pic.twitter.com/hEdKWRTlAv— Nick de Semlyen (@NickdeSemlyen) April 4, 2016
Carrie Fisher - SNL Headshots pic.twitter.com/46De42fqLz— thank u, carrie (@softtluke) April 25, 2016
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.