- ‘The Liar, the Snitch, and the War Crimes’: Twitter roasts news of Trump Jr. book deal Today 12:36 PM
- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice Today 12:07 PM
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters Today 12:00 PM
- Meet the anti-choice, pro-NRA Trump supporter challenging Rep. Justin Amash Today 11:51 AM
- Moby attempts to prove he dated Natalie Portman with a shirtless photo Today 11:39 AM
- After feuding with James Charles, Tati Westbrook angers the YouTube community Today 11:06 AM
- Does Keri Russell’s ‘Rise of Skywalker’ character have an offensive name in Spanish? Today 10:59 AM
- It’s not clear if Ralph Northam is in racist yearbook photo, investigators say Today 10:48 AM
- The atonement of an alt-right troll Today 9:25 AM
- #StopTheBans protests draw thousands across the country in support of abortion rights Today 9:24 AM
- North Korea is using Trump’s low IQ attack on Joe Biden Today 9:14 AM
- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
Carrie Fisher’s ‘Saturday Night Live’ episode from 1978 is a must-watch
Her comedic side really shines.
Fans are taking a deep dive into decades of Carrie Fisher’s work after her death Tuesday, and while Star Wars, her memoirs and novels, and her one-woman show Wishful Drinking are on top of many lists, her comedic turn on Saturday Night Live is well worth a revisit.
Fisher only hosted SNL once, on Nov. 18, 1978—about 18 months after A New Hope’s release turned her into a household name—with musical guest the Blues Brothers, with whom she would later star in a movie. And it was Princess Leia she embraced as she walked out onto the main stage decked out in Leia’s famous Star Wars costume. She even had a Bantha joke fresh from Obi-Wan Kenobi.
After the monologue, Fisher—still donning Leia’s trademark buns—is transported to a cheesy ’50s teen beach movie complete with a fitting costume change and a musical ode to Obi-Wan Kenobi. And if anyone can handle a skeevy Bill Murray character, it’s Leia (and Fisher).
[Placeholder for https://www.facebook.com/StarWarsArchives/videos/626433547383960/ video embed.]
While it’s not one of SNL’s most famous episodes, it’s certainly gotten some love from fans over the years—even before Fisher’s death.
The Carrie Fisher ep of SNL is crazy. She and Bill Murray make out on a beach, then they all sing "Obi-Wan Kenobi!" pic.twitter.com/hEdKWRTlAv
— Nick de Semlyen (@NickdeSemlyen) April 4, 2016
Carrie Fisher – SNL Headshots pic.twitter.com/46De42fqLz
— thank u, carrie (@softtluke) April 25, 2016
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.