- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
- GoFundMe to send ‘Target Tori’ on vacation raises more than $30K Wednesday 6:54 PM
- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Wednesday 11:46 AM
Buzzed: Azealia Banks vs. Perez Hilton, plus JGL’s face
Twitter users took offense when Azealia Banks used a charged word against gossip blogger Perez Hilton.
In Buzzed, we take a look at three things that trended over the weekend while you were away from your keyboard getting buzzed.
A Twitter war broke out between gossip hound Perez Hilton and rapper/seapunk enthusiast/Tumblr fave Azealia Banks late Friday which left some fans of the rapper angry at her for using the word “faggot.” It began when Hilton took the side of Angel Haze, who dissed Banks in a feud late last week.
Banks tweeted at Hilton calling him a “messy faggot” and using other homophobically laced insults, like “dickbreath” and “gobble a dick.” Despite fans calling out Banks for her usage of the controversial word, the bisexual singer said her sexuality and the context she was using it in made her usage fine. She defended herself, tweeting “A faggot is not a homosexual male. A faggot is any male who acts like a female. There’s a BIG difference.”
On Sunday, gay rights group GLAAD condemned Banks. “This word is used almost universally by bullies, often as part of a larger verbal or physical assault. This word hurts those kids, no matter what Banks meant by it,” the group stated. Oh, and Banks’ debut album is due out Feb. 12.
Here’s a picture of Tumblr power user and actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt with his dad at a Los Angeles Lakers game Sunday night. So that’s where JGL gets his perfectly sculpted face.
Remember Jamiroquai? The British funk band that burst onto the music scene in mid 1990s with the breakout hit “Virtual Insanity”? Well, they’re back! They released a new song called “Lifeline” on their SoundCloud account, and it’s the perfect boogie for your Monday morning.
Photo via Steve Hunt/Flickr
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.