- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
- Group running GoFundMe for border wall breaks ground without permits Monday 11:47 AM
Buzzed: Azealia Banks vs. Perez Hilton, plus JGL’s face
Twitter users took offense when Azealia Banks used a charged word against gossip blogger Perez Hilton.
In Buzzed, we take a look at three things that trended over the weekend while you were away from your keyboard getting buzzed.
A Twitter war broke out between gossip hound Perez Hilton and rapper/seapunk enthusiast/Tumblr fave Azealia Banks late Friday which left some fans of the rapper angry at her for using the word “faggot.” It began when Hilton took the side of Angel Haze, who dissed Banks in a feud late last week.
Banks tweeted at Hilton calling him a “messy faggot” and using other homophobically laced insults, like “dickbreath” and “gobble a dick.” Despite fans calling out Banks for her usage of the controversial word, the bisexual singer said her sexuality and the context she was using it in made her usage fine. She defended herself, tweeting “A faggot is not a homosexual male. A faggot is any male who acts like a female. There’s a BIG difference.”
On Sunday, gay rights group GLAAD condemned Banks. “This word is used almost universally by bullies, often as part of a larger verbal or physical assault. This word hurts those kids, no matter what Banks meant by it,” the group stated. Oh, and Banks’ debut album is due out Feb. 12.
Here’s a picture of Tumblr power user and actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt with his dad at a Los Angeles Lakers game Sunday night. So that’s where JGL gets his perfectly sculpted face.
Remember Jamiroquai? The British funk band that burst onto the music scene in mid 1990s with the breakout hit “Virtual Insanity”? Well, they’re back! They released a new song called “Lifeline” on their SoundCloud account, and it’s the perfect boogie for your Monday morning.
Photo via Steve Hunt/Flickr
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.