- Man reportedly denied refugee status after officials fail to forward email 3 Years Ago
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ star to lead Disney+ ‘Home Alone’ reboot 3 Years Ago
- Beyoncé and Kelly Rowland were harassed by Jagged Edge as teens, Mathew Knowles says 3 Years Ago
- White nationalist Nick Fuentes is upset MTV aired his white nationalist views 3 Years Ago
- Juice WRLD had secret drug-littered Instagram, according to his ex-girlfriend Today 11:10 AM
- Jersey City suspect posted anti-Semitic, anti-police materials online Today 10:30 AM
- Novaruu was banned from Twitch for 3 days—and she can’t understand why Today 10:12 AM
- Pete Buttigieg swears he’s not in the CIA Today 9:28 AM
- Greta Thunberg named ‘Time’ 2019 person of the year Today 9:28 AM
- The best gear and gadget gifts for Dad this holiday season Today 7:30 AM
- The 10 most important sci-fi films of the 2010s Today 7:00 AM
- Netflix advances beyond testosterone-fueled anime with subdued ‘Levius’ Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer accused of selling shirt she was supposed to promote Tuesday 8:42 PM
- Jameela Jamil dragged for comparing reproductive rights to landlord rights Tuesday 6:54 PM
- Trump campaign posts Thanos meme, totally misses point of ‘Endgame’ Tuesday 5:58 PM
Feb. 16 may hold little significance for you, but if you’re a die-hard Britney Spears fan, today is a day of both grief and triumph. A day an icon fell, and was reborn.
Ten years ago today, Spears had the celebrity meltdown to outshine them all. The one where she. Shaved. Her. Head.
February 16, 2007 – 10 Years Ago…
A post shared by @popculturediedin2009 on
She shaved it all off.
February 16, 2007 – 10 Years Ago… pic.twitter.com/ENLfmaKnti
— popculturediedin2009 (@pcd2009) February 16, 2017
Spears did the unthinkable and snatched her own wig.
The Tumblr also chronicles the week when Spears went bald, and the aftermath. Young Spears was seen partying in a bikini, checked in and out of rehab for less than 24 hours at a time, twice, and most importantly, took an umbrella to Kevin Federline’s car without a single hair on her head.
By Feb. 22, Spears checked into rehab a third time, at Promises, where she would stay for nearly a month.
Looking back at this epic moment in pop culture history we can’t help but be stunned by the beauty of her journey. In fact, it’s downright inspirational.
Some have even used it to share a political message.
As for Spears herself, today the star is thriving. She has a successful new album under her belt, and a Vegas residency that has earned north of $100 million.
Sometimes you just have to burn it all down and start again.
Nayomi Reghay is a frequent contributor to the Daily Dot, covering body positivity, feminism, sex, relationships, and gender. She is also the author of the advice column “Swipe This!” A former New York Teaching Fellow, her writing has been featured in Reductress, Rolling Stone, Mic, Someecards, and more.