- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo 2 Years Ago
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Today 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Today 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Today 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Today 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Today 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Today 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Today 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Today 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Today 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Today 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Today 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Today 12:31 PM
- Report: Ben Carson made transphobic comments at HUD meeting Today 12:30 PM
- Where to buy the Switch Lite and everything else you need to know Today 12:28 PM
In September, Attorney General Jeff Sessions ended the Deferred Actions for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, putting thousands of legally-working undocumented immigrants at risk of deportation. Now, as immigration activists push for Congress to pass a clean Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act to protect immigrants from deportation and to give them a path to citizenship, Britney Spears wants to enlist your help.
On Friday night, Spears shared a classic full-body photo of herself wearing a black T-shirt with the statement, “We are all Dreamers.”
“Tell Congress to pass the #DreamAct,” she urged, linking to Emerson Collective, a California nonprofit encouraging immigration reform that created the shirt.
Spears’ fans flipped for the star’s support of Dreamers, the undocumented immigrants who would be affected by the legislation.
I HAVE QUITE A FEW FAVES... but she’s the only one to step out and explicitly state her support. She has such a good heart and that’s why I love her so much.— Blue Ivy's Au Pair (@MikeyTBH) December 23, 2017
ended Trump omg— sam (@toxickilos) December 23, 2017
Nothing but respect for MY president. https://t.co/zhIH9HYyCY— Matt Stopera (@mattstopera) December 23, 2017
Activistney!!!!! https://t.co/lobD9rJBYb— Myles Tanzer (@mylestanzer) December 23, 2017
Last Wednesday, Dreamer activists rallied at Capitol Hill to protest the passing of the spending bill until it includes a version of the DREAM Act without concessions for border wall or security funding, according to Democracy Now. Without a DREAM act, 700,000 undocumented immigrants are at risk of being deported once their two-year DACA permits expire, with more than 13,000 people having already lost their DACA permits since September.
In the words of Spears herself, “You better call Congress, bitch.”
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.