- People have much love for the all-women moderator panel at the presidential debate Wednesday 10:03 PM
- Kamala Harris: Trump ‘got punked’ by North Korea Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Biden on domestic violence: We need to keep ‘punching’ Wednesday 9:47 PM
- Amy Klobuchar says she raised $17,000 from ex-boyfriends Wednesday 9:16 PM
- Trump’s campaign is a fan of Tulsi Gabbard’s attack on the Democratic party Wednesday 9:07 PM
- 50 Cent makes Instagram return with transphobic meme Wednesday 8:34 PM
- Lyft driver attacks female passenger after she refused to turn off music Wednesday 7:30 PM
- J.J. Watt posted his phone number online, wants fans to text him Wednesday 6:22 PM
- How a normal redditor becomes a conspiracy theorist Wednesday 5:48 PM
- ‘Bikram’ is not a great film, but it is a document of justice Wednesday 5:43 PM
- Congress is concerned Amazon isn’t safeguarding Ring videos Wednesday 5:40 PM
- Twitter urged to suspend Tory Party Twitter account after it ‘misled’ the public Wednesday 4:56 PM
- This former stripper has the best Humans of New York story of all time Wednesday 4:47 PM
- How to watch tonight’s 2020 Democratic debate Wednesday 4:21 PM
- ‘Dollface’ offers a narrow vision of womanhood Wednesday 3:56 PM
In September, Attorney General Jeff Sessions ended the Deferred Actions for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, putting thousands of legally-working undocumented immigrants at risk of deportation. Now, as immigration activists push for Congress to pass a clean Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act to protect immigrants from deportation and to give them a path to citizenship, Britney Spears wants to enlist your help.
On Friday night, Spears shared a classic full-body photo of herself wearing a black T-shirt with the statement, “We are all Dreamers.”
“Tell Congress to pass the #DreamAct,” she urged, linking to Emerson Collective, a California nonprofit encouraging immigration reform that created the shirt.
Spears’ fans flipped for the star’s support of Dreamers, the undocumented immigrants who would be affected by the legislation.
I HAVE QUITE A FEW FAVES... but she’s the only one to step out and explicitly state her support. She has such a good heart and that’s why I love her so much.— Blue Ivy's Au Pair (@MikeyTBH) December 23, 2017
ended Trump omg— sam (@toxickilos) December 23, 2017
Nothing but respect for MY president. https://t.co/zhIH9HYyCY— Matt Stopera (@mattstopera) December 23, 2017
Activistney!!!!! https://t.co/lobD9rJBYb— Myles Tanzer (@mylestanzer) December 23, 2017
Last Wednesday, Dreamer activists rallied at Capitol Hill to protest the passing of the spending bill until it includes a version of the DREAM Act without concessions for border wall or security funding, according to Democracy Now. Without a DREAM act, 700,000 undocumented immigrants are at risk of being deported once their two-year DACA permits expire, with more than 13,000 people having already lost their DACA permits since September.
In the words of Spears herself, “You better call Congress, bitch.”
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.