- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? 3 Years Ago
- Mom of ‘Success Kid’ says Steve King can’t use her son’s meme for ‘repulsive’ campaign Today 2:00 PM
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career Today 1:13 PM
- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free (updated) Today 12:21 PM
- ‘Joker’ ad compares Todd Phillips to Gandhi Today 12:10 PM
- Mom learned about her special needs son’s abuse by seeing TikTok video Today 11:21 AM
- Influencer gets revenge on her male trolls with Instagram account Today 10:32 AM
- Conservatives are frothing over a Ukraine joke told on CNN Today 10:26 AM
- Dua Lipa isn’t canceled—but her fans are defending her in #DuaLipaIsOverParty like she is Today 9:21 AM
- These YouTube videos claim to show the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash (they don’t) Today 9:08 AM
- More than 40 colleges say they won’t use facial recognition on campus Today 8:32 AM
- LeBron’s Instagram tribute to Kobe is devastating Today 7:56 AM
- ‘Rise of Empires: Ottoman’ is ‘Game of Thrones’ for history buffs Today 7:00 AM
- People on Twitter ask whose ancestors would’ve passed immigrant ‘wealth test’ Monday 6:54 PM
- Kobe Bryant helicopter crash mocked in teen’s TikTok video Monday 6:38 PM
On Tuesday, it was announced that Angelina Jolie had filed for divorce from Brad Pitt. The news has been confirmed by Jolie’s lawyer.
According to TMZ, Jolie filed documents on Monday citing irreconcilable differences. She’s also asking for sole physical custody of their six kids. Jolie’s lawyer said the divorce is “for the health of the family.”
The couple, long known as Brangelina, had been married since 2014, but they were together for a decade before that.
Predictably, Twitter was distraught over the news.
I haven’t heard a gasp go through the newsroom like the news of Jolie Pitt Divorce THIS ENTIRE ELECTION
— Anne Helen Petersen (@annehelen) September 20, 2016
Angelina and Brad, sitting down with Ban Ki-moon, explaining that this Christmas will be different but that it’s not his fault
— Ben Machell (@ben_machell) September 20, 2016
That’s a lot of paternity for Brad Pitt. Looking forward to Moneyball 2: The Coco Crisp Years.
— Bobby Big Wheel (@BobbyBigWheel) September 20, 2016
— Esther Webber (@estwebber) September 20, 2016
And, of course, there were lots of Jennifer Aniston reactions. Because she can only be tied to Brad Pitt for the rest of her life.
Update Sept. 20, 4:32pm: Pitt said in a statement to People, “I am very saddened by this, but what matters most now is the well being of our kids. I kindly ask the press to give them the space they deserve during this challenging time.”
Jolie has not issued a public statement.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.