- Devin Nunes’ lawsuit with Twitter over parody accounts inspires more parody accounts Tuesday 7:53 PM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez posts SpongeBob meme to diss Green New Deal adversaries Tuesday 7:23 PM
- Twitter blasts Benny Johnson over heinous Native American ‘socialist’ reservations take Tuesday 6:16 PM
- New Zealand arrests 2 for sharing video of mosque shooting Tuesday 4:44 PM
- ‘Queer Eye’ season 3 serves more frothy fun and cathartic realness Tuesday 4:30 PM
- Everyone is roasting this photo of Kourtney Kardashian in a bubble bath Tuesday 4:15 PM
- White House report has a lot of superheroes listed as interns Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Google to launch ‘Stadia’ cloud gaming service this year Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Amy Schumer addresses her ‘Growing’ pains in new Netflix special Tuesday 2:04 PM
- This Bitcoin tie is everyone’s favorite part of the Theranos documentary Tuesday 1:56 PM
- Trump’s social media guru gets suspended on Facebook Tuesday 1:51 PM
- YouTube time traveler says he saw a dinosaur—in the future Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Why is Netflix changing the viewing order for ‘Love, Death & Robots’? Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet Tuesday 12:40 PM
- These cat purses have everything you need (including balls) Tuesday 12:22 PM
Amber Rose has a theory that Gwyneth Paltrow is ‘Becky with the good hair’
It’s been a little over two years since Beyoncé‘s album Lemonade dropped, which is apparently just enough time for Amber Rose to feel comfortable speculating about some of the relationship bombshells that were dropped in the lyrics.
“I definitely think that Gwyneth Paltrow is ‘Becky with the good hair,’” Rose said. “I really feel like she’s she’s the one who was, like, fucking Jay-Z.”
Amber Rose accused Gwyneth Paltrow of "f–king" Jay-Z and being "Becky with the good hair." https://t.co/gc7tQdyLqB
— Us Weekly (@usweekly) July 26, 2018
Just to refresh your memory, in the song “Sorry,” Beyoncé explains that her love interest seems to “only want [her] when [she’s] not there,” and ignores her when they’re actually together. So she tells him to go “call Becky with the good hair” instead. Back in 2016, there was plenty of speculation as to who this mystery woman threatening Hollywood’s most iconic marriage might be. Fashion designer Rachel Roy seemed to be a popular culprit, though people also made cases for Rita Ora and even Taylor Swift.
Needless to say, Becky never stepped forward, and the couple ultimately decided to stay together and released a joint album this summer. But Rose is convinced there’s a lot of evidence pointing to Paltrow that people didn’t pick up on.
“They were like friends, and then, like, you don’t see Gwyneth Paltrow with Beyoncé anymore,” Rose said. Paltrow also “consciously uncoupled” from longtime husband in 2016, the same year Lemonade was released. “But like Beyonce’s still with Jay,” Rose added. Hm…
tbh this makes much more sense than Rachel Roy https://t.co/CNyjA2wnFI
— summer bummer (@shani_o) July 26, 2018
For Paltrow’s part, her team was quick to shoot down Rose’s theory. A rep told People, it’s “completely absurd and 100 percent false.”
And just like that, the mystery of Becky lives to confound us another day.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.