- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
Amber Rose has a theory that Gwyneth Paltrow is ‘Becky with the good hair’
It’s been a little over two years since Beyoncé‘s album Lemonade dropped, which is apparently just enough time for Amber Rose to feel comfortable speculating about some of the relationship bombshells that were dropped in the lyrics.
“I definitely think that Gwyneth Paltrow is ‘Becky with the good hair,’” Rose said. “I really feel like she’s she’s the one who was, like, fucking Jay-Z.”
Amber Rose accused Gwyneth Paltrow of "f--king" Jay-Z and being "Becky with the good hair." https://t.co/gc7tQdyLqB— Us Weekly (@usweekly) July 26, 2018
Just to refresh your memory, in the song “Sorry,” Beyoncé explains that her love interest seems to “only want [her] when [she’s] not there,” and ignores her when they’re actually together. So she tells him to go “call Becky with the good hair” instead. Back in 2016, there was plenty of speculation as to who this mystery woman threatening Hollywood’s most iconic marriage might be. Fashion designer Rachel Roy seemed to be a popular culprit, though people also made cases for Rita Ora and even Taylor Swift.
Needless to say, Becky never stepped forward, and the couple ultimately decided to stay together and released a joint album this summer. But Rose is convinced there’s a lot of evidence pointing to Paltrow that people didn’t pick up on.
“They were like friends, and then, like, you don’t see Gwyneth Paltrow with Beyoncé anymore,” Rose said. Paltrow also “consciously uncoupled” from longtime husband in 2016, the same year Lemonade was released. “But like Beyonce’s still with Jay,” Rose added. Hm…
tbh this makes much more sense than Rachel Roy https://t.co/CNyjA2wnFI— summer bummer (@shani_o) July 26, 2018
For Paltrow’s part, her team was quick to shoot down Rose’s theory. A rep told People, it’s “completely absurd and 100 percent false.”
And just like that, the mystery of Becky lives to confound us another day.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.