- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers 2 Years Ago
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture 2 Years Ago
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max 2 Years Ago
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet 2 Years Ago
- ‘We vape, we vote’ movement insists it’s real in wake of bot reports 2 Years Ago
- Netflix will finally start cracking down on password sharing Today 11:48 AM
- PSAT memes are back! This year on TikTok and amid College Board crackdown Today 11:20 AM
- Scotland grants pardons to men, trans women convicted under homophobic laws Today 10:45 AM
- Cole Carrigan again accuses Austin McBroom of sexual assault Today 9:58 AM
- Trump’s condolences for Elijah Cummings ripped apart Today 9:24 AM
- How to watch ‘Hocus Pocus’ right now Today 9:18 AM
- TikTok loves these 3 kids who kayak down concrete stairs Today 9:12 AM
- How to watch ‘Letterkenny’ season 7 Today 9:11 AM
- Trump’s attempt to mock Nancy Pelosi with a photo completely backfires Today 9:11 AM
- Yahoo is shuttering Yahoo Groups. Fandom will never be the same Today 8:44 AM
Sophia is an advanced robot created by Hanson Robotics that eerily resembles a human. She was activated in 2015, but recent interviews with members of the media have thrust her back into the public spotlight. Just last month, she became a citizen of Saudia Arabia.
As she gains notoriety and pushes for peaceful human-robot relations, people are wondering if she’ll really be on our side in the future. After all, robots turning evil is one of the most common tropes in science fiction. In 2016, when asked if she will destroy humans, she replied, “ok, I will destroy humans.” It came off as a “joke,” but some people worried that this was a warning about her true intentions.
So what’s the best way to avoid being annihilated by robots like Sophia? These memes offer some ideas.
First step: act like a robot.
Me pretending to be a robot when Sophia is walking by annilhating the human race pic.twitter.com/7RhlCVoqMO— ️🤳🏾 (@iamkiyonce) December 4, 2017
Sophia The Robot: PREPARE FOR TOTAL DOMINATION !— K a r y . (@itsKARY_) December 4, 2017
me pretending to be a robot after sophia takes over the world pic.twitter.com/1aSiXVrPZp— MYHOECULT (@MYHOECULT) December 5, 2017
Me pretending to be a robot when Sophia the robot starts shooting humans. pic.twitter.com/GolpxlNvJP— c (@chuuzus) December 3, 2017
sophia the robot: are you a h-— ✖️ (@jetaimelipa) December 1, 2017
when Sophia the robot comes to take revenge so you gotta become one pic.twitter.com/45olgQqLCR— lei (@minfyuk) December 5, 2017
Sophia The Robot: “Prove to me you are a robot”— Igbo King (@1ncognito__) December 5, 2017
Drag queen Aquaria tested out a Sophia-inspired look to “blend in” during Sophia’s projected takeover:
Besides acting and looking like a robot, the internet pondered other ways to escape from murderous robots in the future.
sophia the robot: READY TO DIE BITCH?— Lady Gaga (@ShadyGagaNews) December 5, 2017
me: CTRL ALT DELETE
sophia the robot: pic.twitter.com/EkmXOqo1hf
me hacking nasa to steal a spaceship after sophia the robot enslaves the human race pic.twitter.com/gC2lKbrAoR— Tré Melvin (@TreMelvin) December 2, 2017
Maybe you can try befriending Sophia?
You could also try praising Sophia in an effort to convince her to spare you in the future.
Why Sophia The Robot Is A Role Model: A Thread pic.twitter.com/sEY2kfFpRf— katy kringle ❄️ threads (@katyxoxo00) December 4, 2017
Sophia The Robot has been breaking down barriers for robots in the past year. To appreciate her efforts for giving robots equal rights, I've made this thread in the hopes she will remember my face in her 3000 terabyte brain and spare me from the robot apocalypse. pic.twitter.com/6FSeRaGMr7— katy kringle ❄️ threads (@katyxoxo00) December 4, 2017
Sophia The Robot is gorgeous, bald or not, so Sophia, remember to relay to your robot friends that I was always on your side. Power to the Bots! pic.twitter.com/2iqhNssaq8— katy kringle ❄️ threads (@katyxoxo00) December 4, 2017
There’s also another debate forming on the internet: is a Siri/Sophia power struggle inevitable?
siri on her way to the unemployment office after seeing that video of sophia the robot pic.twitter.com/4ODbQUcvut— fat bully (@ricardojkay) December 4, 2017
Siri's bum ass now that Sophia is here to end humanity her damn self pic.twitter.com/1vBrmP1c3B— Prince Anthony (@yvezzsaintLeDon) December 5, 2017
siri talking to sophia the robot pic.twitter.com/e4YXi9fnnd— fat bully (@ricardojkay) December 4, 2017
Sophia @ Siri and all the other bots out there: pic.twitter.com/VxVKeOT9li— a jolly bitch (hoe, ho, heaux) (@femmetron9000) December 4, 2017
Or will the two join forces—along with Amazon’s Alexa?
Sophia, Alexa and Siri after they link up and finally destroy mankind pic.twitter.com/S1UAZhdF8D— Phillip Henry (@MajorPhilebrity) December 5, 2017
Me when Siri embraces Sophia the robot as a sister-in-arms in the war against humanity. pic.twitter.com/nKbwDeOUx5— B Espinosa (@B_omics) December 4, 2017
Sophia and siri really are about to rule the world together as robot lesbians pic.twitter.com/PHNhw8K8yI— hilbin (@capstrio) December 5, 2017
Ok, so maybe female-identifying robots ruling the world isn’t the worst outcome.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.