- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Monday 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Monday 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Monday 9:26 AM
“There’s a theoretical physicist inside all of our minds, and you can talk and talk, but it’s living.”
“Someone once told me, ‘Time is a flat circle.’ Everything we’ve ever done or will do, we’re gonna do over and over and over again,” Rust Cohle once mused. That means that every nihilistic tweet that philosopher Jaden Smith has ever dispatched is doomed to be tweeted and tweeted and tweeted forever.
If that thought’s not enough to make you question the metaphysical complexities of this world, then allow us to take a stab at it. After T Magazine published an interview on Monday with Smith we began to wonder where the consciousness of Jaden ended and Rust’s began. Here at the Daily Dot we’ve compiled a list of 10 quotes, belonging to either the chilling lead of HBO’s True Detective or the star of The Karate Kid.
Can you tell which quote belongs to the hunter of the Yellow King and which belongs to vessel of Prana energy?
1) “To realize that all your life—you know, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain—it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream. A dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person. And like a lot of dreams there’s a monster at the end of it.”
2) “When babies are born, their soft spots bump: It has, like, a heartbeat in it. That’s because energy is coming through their body, up and down.”
3) “Here’s the deal: School is not authentic because it ends. It’s not true, it’s not real. Our learning will never end. The school that we go to every single morning, we will continue to go to.”
4) “Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.”
5) “It’s proven that how time moves for you depends on where you are in the universe. It’s relative to beings and other places. But on the level of being here on earth, if you are aware in a moment, one second can last a year. And if you are unaware, your whole childhood, your whole life can pass by in six seconds. But it’s also such a thing that you can get lost in.”
6) “I know who I am. And after all these years, there’s a victory in that.”
7) “Sometimes I think I’m just not good for people, that it’s not good for them to be around me. I wear ‘em down. They… they get unhappy.”
8) “The only way to change something is to shock it. If you want your muscles to grow, you have to shock them. If you want society to change, you have to shock them.”
9) “Well, if the common good has got to make up fairy tales, then it’s not good for anybody.”
10) “Exactly. Because your mind has a duality to it. So when one thought goes into your mind, it’s not just one thought, it has to bounce off both hemispheres of the brain. When you’re thinking about something happy, you’re thinking about something sad. When you think about an apple, you also think about the opposite of an apple. It’s a tool for understanding mathematics and things with two separate realities.”
Answers: 1)RC, 2)JS, 3)JS, 4)RC, 5)JS, 6)RC, 7)RC, 8)JS, 9)RC, 10)JS
Screengrab via samboslicebeats/YouTube
Greg Seals is a former social media producer and contributing writer for the Daily Dot. He specializes in creating and covering viral content on platforms that include Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.