- Paul Rudd’s appearance on ‘Hot Ones’ becomes an instantly iconic meme 5 Years Ago
- Network of fake news sites in Michigan appears to be right-wing propaganda effort Today 6:30 AM
- ‘BoJack Horseman’ hints at a brutal reckoning in its final season Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Slavia Praha in the Champions League Today 2:00 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Ajax in the Champions League Today 1:00 AM
- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
Man eats photo of Italy’s World Cup team after losing bet on Reddit
“I hope you find it as entertaining as it was unpleasant for me.”
A Reddit user and Italian soccer superstar Mario Balotelli learned a valuable lesson Friday: Don’t make statements you aren’t prepared to own up to.
Prior to the game against Costa Rica in the first round of the FIFA World Cup, Balotelli, a striker, tweeted that if his team won he’d like a kiss from the Queen of England. A win for Italy would’ve kept England in the hunt for a round two berth.
If we beat Costa Rica i want a kiss,obviously on the cheek, from the UK Queen.😂😂😂.
— Mario Balotelli (@FinallyMario) June 19, 2014
Around the same time, Reddit user ArgieGrit01 was making a bold statement of his own.
By Friday afternoon, both men were sorely disappointed.
Italy lost the game 0-1, mathematically eliminating England from the tournament and keeping Balotelli from his kiss.
“I hope you find it as entertaining as it was unpleasant for me,” he said. “Why am I writing this comment? Because I feel I deserve some goddamn comment karma as well because that tasted like shit (coincidence?)”
Screengrab via ArgieGrit01/YouTube
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.