- People are demanding the man who filmed the killing of Eric Garner be freed with #FreeRamsey Monday 7:36 PM
- Billie Eilish’s ‘Bad Guy’ unseats ‘Old Town Road’ from the No. 1 spot Monday 6:11 PM
- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos Monday 5:41 PM
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Monday 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Monday 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Monday 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Monday 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Monday 3:45 PM
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation Monday 3:41 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings Monday 3:19 PM
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Monday 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Monday 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Monday 2:54 PM
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Monday 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Monday 1:24 PM
The life of the humble opossum can be a hard one, fraught and full of uncertainty. Anyone who’s ever downed a few too many gulps of bourbon, however, can probably relate to the plight of one such Florida opossum, who got more than a little sauced last week and had to be taken into wildlife care.
According to Time, employees of the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge got acquainted with the drunken female opossum on Nov. 24, when she was brought in for care by a police officer. She was reportedly found in a Florida liquor store, where she was spotted next to a broken bottle of bourbon that was entirely empty.
While it’s unclear exactly how much of the liquor she slurped up, an employee of the refuge center, Michelle Pettis, told the Panama City News Herald that she appeared to be sloshed.
“A worker there found the opossum up on a shelf next to a cracked open bottle of liquor with nothing in it,” she said. “Assuming the opossum drank it all, he brought her to us, and we looked over her and she definitely wasn’t fully acting normal.”
Opossum in Florida gets drunk after breaking into liquor store https://t.co/a2e7ZUiSXW— Fox News (@FoxNews) December 3, 2017
Pettis told the paper that the refuge center got some fluids into the opossum and successfully nursed her back to health over the course of a few days.
The owner of the liquor store, Cash Moore, told the Panama City News Herald that the animal was, to the best of his knowledge, of legal drinking age. He reportedly described it as the first time an animal had broken into his store and gulped down some of his wares, which is probably for the best―from the sounds of things, the boozy gal needed to recover from quite a hangover before she could handle things on her own again.
Chris Tognotti is a frequent contributor for the Daily Dot. He’s a news and current events writer based out of Berkeley, California, and a co-host of the podcast Now We Know. While he specializes in domestic politics and opinion writing, he’s also savvy on sports, video games, and film.