- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry 2 Years Ago
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Today 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Today 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Today 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Today 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Today 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Today 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
- Privacy activist Ola Bini detained for 2 months in Ecuador without charges Friday 5:01 PM
- Twitter says suspending ‘God’ for a pro-LGBTQ tweet was an ‘error’ Friday 4:14 PM
- ‘You were at my wedding Denise’ stirs controversy again with ‘lubed legs’ tweet Friday 3:31 PM
An opossum broke into a liquor store and got wasted on bourbon
The hangover must have been brutal.
The life of the humble opossum can be a hard one, fraught and full of uncertainty. Anyone who’s ever downed a few too many gulps of bourbon, however, can probably relate to the plight of one such Florida opossum, who got more than a little sauced last week and had to be taken into wildlife care.
According to Time, employees of the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge got acquainted with the drunken female opossum on Nov. 24, when she was brought in for care by a police officer. She was reportedly found in a Florida liquor store, where she was spotted next to a broken bottle of bourbon that was entirely empty.
While it’s unclear exactly how much of the liquor she slurped up, an employee of the refuge center, Michelle Pettis, told the Panama City News Herald that she appeared to be sloshed.
“A worker there found the opossum up on a shelf next to a cracked open bottle of liquor with nothing in it,” she said. “Assuming the opossum drank it all, he brought her to us, and we looked over her and she definitely wasn’t fully acting normal.”
Opossum in Florida gets drunk after breaking into liquor store https://t.co/a2e7ZUiSXW
— Fox News (@FoxNews) December 3, 2017
Pettis told the paper that the refuge center got some fluids into the opossum and successfully nursed her back to health over the course of a few days.
The owner of the liquor store, Cash Moore, told the Panama City News Herald that the animal was, to the best of his knowledge, of legal drinking age. He reportedly described it as the first time an animal had broken into his store and gulped down some of his wares, which is probably for the best―from the sounds of things, the boozy gal needed to recover from quite a hangover before she could handle things on her own again.
Chris Tognotti is a frequent contributor for the Daily Dot. He’s a news and current events writer based out of Berkeley, California, and a co-host of the podcast Now We Know. While he specializes in domestic politics and opinion writing, he’s also savvy on sports, video games, and film.