Firefighters blame faulty Nintendo Wii for huge RV fire

Is the warranty still valid?

May 19, 2020, 12:17 pm*

Internet Culture

Imad Khan 

Imad Khan

Remember when Nintendo Wii sales were on fire back in 2006? Well, one particular Wii console in Colorado Springs, Colo., never really cooled off.

RV owner Trevor Pellegrin’s console got so hot that his mobile home went up in flames. Firefighters claimed that the cause of the fire was a Nintendo Wii, which also took out a TV and some clothes. The Colorado Fire Department said that “all other possible sources of ignition have been ruled out.”

Luckily for Pellegrin, he wasn’t home at the time of the fire. Sadly, there was extensive smoke damage, but he was able to save his wallet, some court paperwork, and other important things.

Pellegrin claims that the Wii was off but was plugged into the power outlet. He’s still waiting for a response from Nintendo. His initial message landed with Nintendo UK, so now he’s trying to get a hold of Nintendo of America.

[Placeholder for https://www.facebook.com/trevor.pellegrin.9/posts/10204429328877436?pnref=story embed.]

[Placeholder for https://www.facebook.com/trevor.pellegrin.9/posts/10204429667805909?pnref=story embed.]

H/T Gamespot | Photo via Francesco Crippa/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)

Share this article
*First Published: May 26, 2015, 4:12 pm