- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
It’s no secret that Megan Rapinoe has no problem letting her emotions show on the field, and the forward for the United States women’s soccer team certainly has a lot to feel emotional about right now. Her team just defeated France to advance to the semi-finals of the FIFA World Cup, and she’s tied with teammate Alex Morgan for most goals scored during the series (each woman has five).
But it’s one particular pose that has captured the attention of the internet: Rapinoe with open arms and a self-assured smile after scoring a goal. People are using it to create memes where they talk about their own, perhaps slightly less notable, victories.
when I get my inbox down to ten emails pic.twitter.com/yvBoAXZErA— Mina Kimes (@minakimes) June 28, 2019
when i do my core workout pic.twitter.com/eF3FpawVsK— des_linden (@des_linden) June 28, 2019
when i place my order at wingstop pic.twitter.com/EjudouVQxz— Shea Serrano (@SheaSerrano) June 28, 2019
When I do the easiest task on my to-do list pic.twitter.com/fTvrXoZYXB— Sam Montgomery (@sammontgomery) June 28, 2019
Some people even found the pose reminiscent of other inspiring figures.
Megan “The Viper” Rapinoe pic.twitter.com/sU24vLrRzR— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) June 28, 2019
“You’re sort of on the stage, so I guess I’m looking at myself as a performer and trying to entertain,” Rapinoe told ABC News when asked about her instantly iconic stance “It’s sort of a funny playful pose and we’re always looking for good celebrations so this one stuck a little.”
Hopefully, we’ll be seeing more of the now-famous pose on Tuesday, when the United States takes on England in the semi-finals. The match kicks off at 3 pm ET.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.