- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
An instant classic.
It’s no secret that Megan Rapinoe has no problem letting her emotions show on the field, and the forward for the United States women’s soccer team certainly has a lot to feel emotional about right now. Her team just defeated France to advance to the semi-finals of the FIFA World Cup, and she’s tied with teammate Alex Morgan for most goals scored during the series (each woman has five).
But it’s one particular pose that has captured the attention of the internet: Rapinoe with open arms and a self-assured smile after scoring a goal. People are using it to create memes where they talk about their own, perhaps slightly less notable, victories.
when I get my inbox down to ten emails pic.twitter.com/yvBoAXZErA— Mina Kimes (@minakimes) June 28, 2019
when i do my core workout pic.twitter.com/eF3FpawVsK— des_linden (@des_linden) June 28, 2019
when i place my order at wingstop pic.twitter.com/EjudouVQxz— Shea Serrano (@SheaSerrano) June 28, 2019
When I do the easiest task on my to-do list pic.twitter.com/fTvrXoZYXB— Sam Montgomery (@sammontgomery) June 28, 2019
Some people even found the pose reminiscent of other inspiring figures.
Megan “The Viper” Rapinoe pic.twitter.com/sU24vLrRzR— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) June 28, 2019
“You’re sort of on the stage, so I guess I’m looking at myself as a performer and trying to entertain,” Rapinoe told ABC News when asked about her instantly iconic stance “It’s sort of a funny playful pose and we’re always looking for good celebrations so this one stuck a little.”
Hopefully, we’ll be seeing more of the now-famous pose on Tuesday, when the United States takes on England in the semi-finals. The match kicks off at 3 pm ET.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.