- FBI raided millionaire YouTuber’s home, allegedly took everything Thursday 6:55 PM
- A fake Labour party website is spreading disinformation in Britain Thursday 6:16 PM
- Twitter bans cricket club for posting ISIS content in apparent hack Thursday 6:12 PM
- This dad remade his daughter’s NSFW photo—and people are loving it Thursday 5:51 PM
- Teen allegedly posted ‘slave for sale’ Craigslist ad featuring his Black classmate Thursday 5:28 PM
- People are crushed that this teen love story might be a TikTok ‘joke’ Thursday 4:50 PM
- Is Jacob Wohl evading his Twitter ban with Jack Burkman’s account? Thursday 2:06 PM
- Biden’s most perplexing debate answers, explained Thursday 2:03 PM
- How to stream Colts vs. Texans on Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:52 PM
- Netflix drops ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ trailer Thursday 12:43 PM
- Uber says it will audio-record rides to address safety concerns Thursday 12:41 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ writers go in-depth on how they decided which superheroes lived and died Thursday 12:22 PM
- How to watch Duke vs. Cal in the 2K Empire classic Thursday 12:09 PM
- Trump’s impeachment notes get riffed into punk songs Thursday 12:01 PM
- Pete Buttigieg can’t do the Pete Buttigieg dance Thursday 11:55 AM
It’s no secret that Megan Rapinoe has no problem letting her emotions show on the field, and the forward for the United States women’s soccer team certainly has a lot to feel emotional about right now. Her team just defeated France to advance to the semi-finals of the FIFA World Cup, and she’s tied with teammate Alex Morgan for most goals scored during the series (each woman has five).
But it’s one particular pose that has captured the attention of the internet: Rapinoe with open arms and a self-assured smile after scoring a goal. People are using it to create memes where they talk about their own, perhaps slightly less notable, victories.
when I get my inbox down to ten emails pic.twitter.com/yvBoAXZErA— Mina Kimes (@minakimes) June 28, 2019
when i do my core workout pic.twitter.com/eF3FpawVsK— des_linden (@des_linden) June 28, 2019
when i place my order at wingstop pic.twitter.com/EjudouVQxz— Shea Serrano (@SheaSerrano) June 28, 2019
When I do the easiest task on my to-do list pic.twitter.com/fTvrXoZYXB— Sam Montgomery (@sammontgomery) June 28, 2019
Some people even found the pose reminiscent of other inspiring figures.
Megan “The Viper” Rapinoe pic.twitter.com/sU24vLrRzR— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) June 28, 2019
“You’re sort of on the stage, so I guess I’m looking at myself as a performer and trying to entertain,” Rapinoe told ABC News when asked about her instantly iconic stance “It’s sort of a funny playful pose and we’re always looking for good celebrations so this one stuck a little.”
Hopefully, we’ll be seeing more of the now-famous pose on Tuesday, when the United States takes on England in the semi-finals. The match kicks off at 3 pm ET.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.