- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
It’s no secret that Megan Rapinoe has no problem letting her emotions show on the field, and the forward for the United States women’s soccer team certainly has a lot to feel emotional about right now. Her team just defeated France to advance to the semi-finals of the FIFA World Cup, and she’s tied with teammate Alex Morgan for most goals scored during the series (each woman has five).
But it’s one particular pose that has captured the attention of the internet: Rapinoe with open arms and a self-assured smile after scoring a goal. People are using it to create memes where they talk about their own, perhaps slightly less notable, victories.
when I get my inbox down to ten emails pic.twitter.com/yvBoAXZErA— Mina Kimes (@minakimes) June 28, 2019
when i do my core workout pic.twitter.com/eF3FpawVsK— des_linden (@des_linden) June 28, 2019
when i place my order at wingstop pic.twitter.com/EjudouVQxz— Shea Serrano (@SheaSerrano) June 28, 2019
When I do the easiest task on my to-do list pic.twitter.com/fTvrXoZYXB— Sam Montgomery (@sammontgomery) June 28, 2019
Some people even found the pose reminiscent of other inspiring figures.
Megan “The Viper” Rapinoe pic.twitter.com/sU24vLrRzR— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) June 28, 2019
“You’re sort of on the stage, so I guess I’m looking at myself as a performer and trying to entertain,” Rapinoe told ABC News when asked about her instantly iconic stance “It’s sort of a funny playful pose and we’re always looking for good celebrations so this one stuck a little.”
Hopefully, we’ll be seeing more of the now-famous pose on Tuesday, when the United States takes on England in the semi-finals. The match kicks off at 3 pm ET.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.