- People are demanding the man who filmed the killing of Eric Garner be freed with #FreeRamsey Monday 7:36 PM
- Billie Eilish’s ‘Bad Guy’ unseats ‘Old Town Road’ from the No. 1 spot Monday 6:11 PM
- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos Monday 5:41 PM
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Monday 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Monday 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Monday 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Monday 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Monday 3:45 PM
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation Monday 3:41 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings Monday 3:19 PM
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Monday 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Monday 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Monday 2:54 PM
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Monday 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Monday 1:24 PM
The ‘Lil Mama Crying’ meme is perfect for all of life’s ups and downs
But she’s also in on the joke.
Back in 2011, the hip-hop artist appeared on Power 105.1’s The Breakfast Show, a morning radio program whose hosts grilled about her career. She eventually broke into tears in talking about releasing her album when she was 17, as her mom was dying of cancer—definitely a hard moment to swallow.
But fast forward to today, and Lil Mama’s tears have turned into a hilarious punchline. On the Internet, nothing is ever too old or too sensitive to remix for viral magic. Just take a look at the similar crying Selena Gomez meme or Demi Lovato’s “twin sister” Poot, allegedly locked in a basement for years (not really, it’s just a bad photo of Lovato).
But lest you feel bad about Lil Mama’s misfortune, note that she posted one of these memes to her own Instagram account. It’s not as brutal as some of the jokes from the Twitter, but at least she’s aware that she’s getting meme-ified and playing along.
This isn’t the 26-year-old’s introduction to the Wild Wild Web and its humor. Exhibit A:
So we can hope that Lil Mama is taking the new meme with some good humor. Because really, that face is perfect for some of life’s darnedest moments. The Mama meme might not be cool, but it sure is poppin’ on the Internet.
Check out the rest of the Lil Mama Crying memes for yourself, but be forewarned: you’ll be in tears just like her from laughing so hard.
Screenshot via HipHopStan.com/YouTube
Gabe Bergado is a Daily Dot alumnus who covered dank memes, teens, and the weirdest corners of the Internet. One time, Ted Cruz supporters turned him into a meme—or at least tried to. In 2017, he started reporting for Teen Vogue's entertainment section.