- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
The ‘Lil Mama Crying’ meme is perfect for all of life’s ups and downs
But she’s also in on the joke.
Back in 2011, the hip-hop artist appeared on Power 105.1’s The Breakfast Show, a morning radio program whose hosts grilled about her career. She eventually broke into tears in talking about releasing her album when she was 17, as her mom was dying of cancer—definitely a hard moment to swallow.
But fast forward to today, and Lil Mama’s tears have turned into a hilarious punchline. On the Internet, nothing is ever too old or too sensitive to remix for viral magic. Just take a look at the similar crying Selena Gomez meme or Demi Lovato’s “twin sister” Poot, allegedly locked in a basement for years (not really, it’s just a bad photo of Lovato).
But lest you feel bad about Lil Mama’s misfortune, note that she posted one of these memes to her own Instagram account. It’s not as brutal as some of the jokes from the Twitter, but at least she’s aware that she’s getting meme-ified and playing along.
This isn’t the 26-year-old’s introduction to the Wild Wild Web and its humor. Exhibit A:
So we can hope that Lil Mama is taking the new meme with some good humor. Because really, that face is perfect for some of life’s darnedest moments. The Mama meme might not be cool, but it sure is poppin’ on the Internet.
Check out the rest of the Lil Mama Crying memes for yourself, but be forewarned: you’ll be in tears just like her from laughing so hard.
Screenshot via HipHopStan.com/YouTube
Gabe Bergado is a Daily Dot alumnus who covered dank memes, teens, and the weirdest corners of the Internet. One time, Ted Cruz supporters turned him into a meme—or at least tried to. In 2017, he started reporting for Teen Vogue's entertainment section.