- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
Jake Paul dominated and knocked out AnEsonGib in their YouTube boxing extravaganza on Thursday night. Gib looked like a novice who was well out of his element. Paul looked like a neophyte who actually has some technical skills. The entire event made each YouTuber plenty of money and brought a younger generation of fans to DAZN so they could live stream the event, even as much of the older generation of boxing fans complained about the social media star invasion.
Naturally, Paul’s victory inspired plenty of memes and drew a plethora of comments about how he looked, what he wore, and whether watching the fight was even worth their time.
Jake Paul memes
It started during Paul’s ringwalk when he turned around to face the camera and reveal that he was wearing a glittery gasmask. Considering his brother Logan Paul caused plenty of controversy this week with an Instagram photo of him and three women donning masks and making a coronavirus joke, it was a bold choice by Jake to introduce himself to the Miami crowd with that contraption on his face.
jake paul has got fuckin corona virus ahahah wearing a gas mask— benjyfishy (@benjyfishy) January 31, 2020
Once the fight started, though, it was clear Paul was the much better boxer. Gib’s strange bouncing/crouching style seemed like a bad idea, considering that kind of stance will leave you off balance if a hard punch lands on you. Which is exactly what happened when Paul clocked Gib with a right hand to knock him to the canvas. A few seconds later, Paul’s hard left hook sent Gib into the ropes for another knockdown.
Gib’s style, though, amused a few commenters.
After Paul landed a pair of right hands that led the referee to stop the fight to save Gib from more of a beating, boxers Ryan Garcia (a lightweight prospect who is friends with the Paul brothers) and Enzo Maccarinelli (a former world cruiserweight titlist) checked in with their thoughts—and they were impressed. Assuming, of course, they weren’t being sarcastic.
Jake Paul is ruthless— Enzo Maccarinelli (@theRealEnzoMac) January 31, 2020
He did dedicate himself to training like a boxer and it looked like it— Ryan Garcia (@KingRyanG) January 31, 2020
Despite his loss, some commenters still felt like Gib actually won the night.
For people don't understand why GIB is the real winner.— Tom Syndicate (@ProSyndicate) January 31, 2020
Let me explain,
The internet BULLIED Jake into the fight he never wanted 😂
Gib got an opportunity of a lifetime L or W.
SEVEN FIGURE GIBBER SECURED THE BAG! 💰
Big W for @AnEsonGib despite the result. Forced a fight with Jake Paul (deservedly), got a massive pay cheque and promoted himself as a brand to a much wider audience especially in America. GG it’s all wins!!!— Jack (@Jack54HD) January 31, 2020
Still, some people couldn’t help but be disappointed with the event and/or the result.
Me after the Jake Paul fight pic.twitter.com/yMPQOmDu7F— Jordan Daley (@JDaIey) January 31, 2020
It must suck to be Jake Paul to be honest. Even when he wins no one likes him— 〽️achadex (@WestCoastOg12) January 31, 2020
That Jake Paul-AnesonGib fight 🙈 pic.twitter.com/aPybllbXZV— Mike Coppinger (@MikeCoppinger) January 31, 2020
For those who didn’t see the match, you can watch it in its (short) entirety below, beginning at the 4-minute mark.
But if you missed the event and the chance to weigh in online in real-time, don’t worry. This won’t be the last we see of Paul in the ring, because he’ll almost certainly fight KSI next. And when that occurs, the memes will be sure to follow.
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career
- Who is AnEsonGib, the YouTuber facing Jake Paul in a boxing match?
- Logan Paul makes fun of coronavirus with shirtless photo
For a year-round sports fix, sign up here and check the “sports” box to receive our weekly boxing newsletter. You’ll hear about all the biggest fights and best knockouts from the Daily Dot’s streaming sports guru Josh Katzowitz.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.