- Gaming company Valve removed tributes to Christchurch shooter 3 Years Ago
- The best new bands at SXSW 2019 3 Years Ago
- You can watch DC Universe’s acclaimed original shows for free Today 6:28 AM
- Ximena Sariñana talks capturing feminine energy on her latest album Today 6:00 AM
- The power of parasocial relationships in the age of loneliness Today 6:00 AM
- How to get started with WhatsApp on desktop Today 5:30 AM
- Netflix will remove controversial disaster footage from ‘Bird Box’ Sunday 4:04 PM
- J.K. Rowling’s latest ‘Fantastic Beasts’ reveal is bringing the memes Sunday 3:01 PM
- President Trump calls for government agencies to ‘look into’ ‘Saturday Night Live’ Sunday 12:18 PM
- How to stream Michael Conlan vs. Ruben Garcia Hernandez for free Sunday 11:00 AM
- ‘Pet Sematary’ is a bloodless remake of a Stephen King classic Sunday 10:50 AM
- Here’s the Marvel movie order list you didn’t know you needed Sunday 9:59 AM
- Where do 2020 Democratic candidates stand on weed? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Billions’ season 4 for free Sunday 6:30 AM
- If you’re not using Vudu, you’re missing out Sunday 6:00 AM
Drunk girlfriend who’s never seen ‘Star Wars’ tries to describe the plot
The movie that made Richard Gere a household name.
Believe it or not, the world still has a minor population of people who’ve never seen Star Wars. While this is an obvious travesty, at least they’re bound to know the basics of the narrative that has transfixed humanity for decades, like who Luke, Leia, and Darth Vader are—right?
You might think that with the franchise looming over the cultural landscape like a Death Star, it would be impossible for anyone to have missed the details of the plot. In fandom, we call this “fandom osmosis,” the idea that you can learn a little about a fandom just from being around other people who are in it. But Star Wars fan Mark Zabala has evidently never talked about the movie enough for his girlfriend to grok more than the edges of the story, as we discover in this hilarious video where she drunkenly tries to explain what she thinks happens in the movie.
Zabala’s girlfriend is a great example of what can happen when you know just enough about a thing to assume you know the details. The story she tells about a swaggering Lu(cas) conquering the galaxy with the help of android storm troopers and stealing Leia from a lifetime of slavery at the hands of secretly not-a-robot Darth is actually a pretty decent blockbuster pitch—even if it has nothing to do with the movie we know as Star Wars.
But hey, at least she was spot-on about Richard Gere!
Screengrab via Mark Zambala/Facebook
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.