- These ‘Game of Thrones’ houses are gone forever 3 Years Ago
- The 10 best anime movies on Hulu 3 Years Ago
- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy Today 6:00 AM
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Donald Trump posted a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 152 for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- People keep calling the ‘Game of Thrones’ creators by their initials—and it’s confusing D&D players Saturday 8:00 AM
- After infidelity and abuse accusations, ProJared said his wife wanted an open marriage Saturday 7:40 AM
- ‘Jailbirds’ prioritizes petty drama over insight Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Deontay Wilder vs. Dominic Breazeale for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to live stream Josh Taylor vs. Ivan Baranchyk on DAZN Saturday 6:00 AM
- Kim Kardashian West reveals her and Kanye’s 4th child is named Psalm Friday 6:38 PM
Drunk girlfriend who’s never seen ‘Star Wars’ tries to describe the plot
The movie that made Richard Gere a household name.
Believe it or not, the world still has a minor population of people who’ve never seen Star Wars. While this is an obvious travesty, at least they’re bound to know the basics of the narrative that has transfixed humanity for decades, like who Luke, Leia, and Darth Vader are—right?
You might think that with the franchise looming over the cultural landscape like a Death Star, it would be impossible for anyone to have missed the details of the plot. In fandom, we call this “fandom osmosis,” the idea that you can learn a little about a fandom just from being around other people who are in it. But Star Wars fan Mark Zabala has evidently never talked about the movie enough for his girlfriend to grok more than the edges of the story, as we discover in this hilarious video where she drunkenly tries to explain what she thinks happens in the movie.
Zabala’s girlfriend is a great example of what can happen when you know just enough about a thing to assume you know the details. The story she tells about a swaggering Lu(cas) conquering the galaxy with the help of android storm troopers and stealing Leia from a lifetime of slavery at the hands of secretly not-a-robot Darth is actually a pretty decent blockbuster pitch—even if it has nothing to do with the movie we know as Star Wars.
But hey, at least she was spot-on about Richard Gere!
Screengrab via Mark Zambala/Facebook
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.