- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Today 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Today 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- Vidgo provides competitive streaming options in both English and Spanish Saturday 3:34 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
- How to watch ‘American Idol’ season 18 Saturday 2:00 PM
- James Blake defends girlfriend Jameela Jamil amid allegations she’s faking her illnesses Saturday 1:46 PM
- Viral video purports to show doctors with guns amid coronavirus outbreak Saturday 1:07 PM
- Russian YouTubers pretend to be Greta Thunberg, share alleged prank call with Bernie Sanders Saturday 11:07 AM
- TikTok teens are shaving off their eyebrows to ‘look like’ Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid Saturday 10:25 AM
- Wendy’s fires employees over viral TikTok sink bath Saturday 9:05 AM
- This dentist wants to know who left him a negative review online Friday 8:16 PM
- Rashida Tlaib detained during protests over airline work conditions Friday 6:51 PM
It’s been a decade since an impassioned call to action about Vin Diesel’s sci-fi thriller the Chronicles of Riddick became a hilarious meme about getting really into your favorite VHS tape.
We all have those moments when a movie becomes so action-packed and so immersive that the least you can do is make “wooshing sounds” and scream out the lines of the film’s protagonist. In this case it’s Richard B. Riddick. And, also in this case, he’s mounted an epic and successful prison break.
“Not many can say they escaped the galaxy’s most dangerous prison. I can. I say it out loud every day to the people in my college class,” meme originator and FYAD user graey alien. It was their Nov. 30, 2006 post on the SomethingAwful subforum that started it all. And, in fact, graey alien was something to behold on social media before they quit the game two years ago.
Since graey alien began screaming about the empowerment of a good Vin Diesel VHS, the meme’s taken on a wonderful copypasta life of its own, including this dramatic reading set titled “Riddickulous Poetry.”
So, what can you do to celebrate?
Get yourself a VCR and the Chronicles of Riddick on tape. Palm slap that bad boy into the slot, rewind if you have to, then start doing the moves alongside the movie’s protagonist. This script should help. Don’t forget to make wooshing noises and shout all the words!
Who just escaped from big, badass space prison? You did! And now you must lift.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.