- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City 3 Years Ago
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Today 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Today 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Tottenham Hotspur Friday 6:59 PM
- QAnon supporters claim they couldn’t sport Q attire at Trump rally Friday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Southampton vs. Liverpool Friday 4:55 PM
- See when and where your team plays: The 2019 NFL preseason schedule Friday 4:51 PM
- Twitter is testing a feature that would hide offensive DMs you receive Friday 4:19 PM
- How to stream Arsenal vs. Burnley Friday 4:15 PM
It’s been a decade since an impassioned call to action about Vin Diesel’s sci-fi thriller the Chronicles of Riddick became a hilarious meme about getting really into your favorite VHS tape.
We all have those moments when a movie becomes so action-packed and so immersive that the least you can do is make “wooshing sounds” and scream out the lines of the film’s protagonist. In this case it’s Richard B. Riddick. And, also in this case, he’s mounted an epic and successful prison break.
“Not many can say they escaped the galaxy’s most dangerous prison. I can. I say it out loud every day to the people in my college class,” meme originator and FYAD user graey alien. It was their Nov. 30, 2006 post on the SomethingAwful subforum that started it all. And, in fact, graey alien was something to behold on social media before they quit the game two years ago.
Since graey alien began screaming about the empowerment of a good Vin Diesel VHS, the meme’s taken on a wonderful copypasta life of its own, including this dramatic reading set titled “Riddickulous Poetry.”
So, what can you do to celebrate?
Get yourself a VCR and the Chronicles of Riddick on tape. Palm slap that bad boy into the slot, rewind if you have to, then start doing the moves alongside the movie’s protagonist. This script should help. Don’t forget to make wooshing noises and shout all the words!
Who just escaped from big, badass space prison? You did! And now you must lift.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.