- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum 3 Years Ago
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? 3 Years Ago
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Today 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Today 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Today 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Today 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Today 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Today 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Today 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Today 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Today 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Today 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
It’s been a decade since an impassioned call to action about Vin Diesel’s sci-fi thriller the Chronicles of Riddick became a hilarious meme about getting really into your favorite VHS tape.
We all have those moments when a movie becomes so action-packed and so immersive that the least you can do is make “wooshing sounds” and scream out the lines of the film’s protagonist. In this case it’s Richard B. Riddick. And, also in this case, he’s mounted an epic and successful prison break.
“Not many can say they escaped the galaxy’s most dangerous prison. I can. I say it out loud every day to the people in my college class,” meme originator and FYAD user graey alien. It was their Nov. 30, 2006 post on the SomethingAwful subforum that started it all. And, in fact, graey alien was something to behold on social media before they quit the game two years ago.
Since graey alien began screaming about the empowerment of a good Vin Diesel VHS, the meme’s taken on a wonderful copypasta life of its own, including this dramatic reading set titled “Riddickulous Poetry.”
So, what can you do to celebrate?
Get yourself a VCR and the Chronicles of Riddick on tape. Palm slap that bad boy into the slot, rewind if you have to, then start doing the moves alongside the movie’s protagonist. This script should help. Don’t forget to make wooshing noises and shout all the words!
Who just escaped from big, badass space prison? You did! And now you must lift.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.