- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
That crazy, hyped up ‘Chronicles of Riddick’ VHS meme turned 10 today
‘EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT.’
It’s been a decade since an impassioned call to action about Vin Diesel’s sci-fi thriller the Chronicles of Riddick became a hilarious meme about getting really into your favorite VHS tape.
We all have those moments when a movie becomes so action-packed and so immersive that the least you can do is make “wooshing sounds” and scream out the lines of the film’s protagonist. In this case it’s Richard B. Riddick. And, also in this case, he’s mounted an epic and successful prison break.
“Not many can say they escaped the galaxy’s most dangerous prison. I can. I say it out loud every day to the people in my college class,” meme originator and FYAD user graey alien. It was their Nov. 30, 2006 post on the SomethingAwful subforum that started it all. And, in fact, graey alien was something to behold on social media before they quit the game two years ago.
Since graey alien began screaming about the empowerment of a good Vin Diesel VHS, the meme’s taken on a wonderful copypasta life of its own, including this dramatic reading set titled “Riddickulous Poetry.”
So, what can you do to celebrate?
Get yourself a VCR and the Chronicles of Riddick on tape. Palm slap that bad boy into the slot, rewind if you have to, then start doing the moves alongside the movie’s protagonist. This script should help. Don’t forget to make wooshing noises and shout all the words!
Who just escaped from big, badass space prison? You did! And now you must lift.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.