- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
Where are they going?
And so everyone did. Or almost everyone. While most people were headed out of the state, trying to avoid the 100-mph winds and risk of death, a lone car was spotted going the other way.
Maybe there’s a good reason for it. We don’t know, but we can certainly speculate.
Haha. Oh god. Well, whatever this person’s fate turned out to be, it now includes becoming a meme.
It’s basically a newsier version of every meme about someone rushing somewhere: “Bae come over” jokes, Bernie Sanders walk-running to the train, even a new gif of President Obama seeming to forget something as he leaves the Oval Office.
If you don’t think too long or too seriously about what could compel someone to drive back into a hurricane, it’s funny and relatable. Sometimes we use humor to make the best of a tragic situation, even one as grim as a lost Fleshlight and porn collection.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.