- Sri Lankan government shuts down social media in wake of deadly blasts Sunday 7:56 PM
- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
After you hear ‘Beep Beep, I’m a Sheep,’ you’ll understand why the meme is so viral
‘Beep Beep, I’m a Sheep’ is the dumb, catchy, song you can’t ignore
The song is nonsense. It’s rhyming gibberish. But you just can’t get it out of your head. “Beep beep, I’m a sheep,” you think as you wake up in the morning. “Beep beep, I’m a sheep,” you mutter to yourself as you’re falling asleep. Beep beep, you’re a sheep, and there’s nothing you can do about it.
“Beep Beep, I’m a Sheep” was created in 2016 by popular YouTuber and “20-something British comedy person” Thomas “TomSka” Ridgewell, best known for his stick-figure animation series asdfmovie. TomSka came up with the ridiculous song—whose complete lyrics are “beep beep, I’m a sheep, I said beep beep I’m a sheep”—while recording a video, and his friends joined in.
It was a minor sensation, with almost 200,000 views, and a few fan remixes of the song managed to rack up five-digit view counts.
It wasn’t exactly a tremendous internet phenomenon, though. That wouldn’t happen until April 2017, when TomSka included a “beep beep, I’m a sheep” callback in a new episode of asdfmovie:
Just three days after its release, the episode had nearly 7 million views and made YouTube’s trending list—pretty typical for an asdfmovie video. “Beep beep, I’m a sheep” was just one small part of the larger video, but TomSka wasn’t done with it yet.
Here’s what finally turned “Beep beep, I’m a sheep” into this week’s best, most annoying viral earworm. It’s a full, animated music video for the song, with a new beat and a bunch of new lyrics. Meow meow, I’m a cow, anyone?
Asdf collaborator Todd “LilDeuceDeuce” Bryanton produced the track, and asdfmovie’s regular animator, Ben “Wonchop” Smallman, provided the visuals. Even though it wasn’t shared on TomSka’s hugely popular channel, the video still has millions of views, and Google search queries for “beep beep, I’m a sheep” are through the roof. Not bad for a tossed-off nonsense rhyme.
This is just wild speculation, but perhaps “Beep Beep, I’m a Sheep” is so viral because, once you hear it, you can’t suffer the curse alone. Passing it on to others, that they might share your pain, will only lead to a global “I’m a sheep” pandemic that will shut. down. everything. I hope you’re happy, TomSka. You’ve broken the internet.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.