- Female bodyguard thriller ‘Close’ is disappointingly un-thrilling 5 Years Ago
- Twitter faces backlash for insensitive ‘triggers’ joke Today 1:13 PM
- 10 user-recommended sites for live tarot readings that are almost too good to be true Today 12:08 PM
- AsapSCIENCE comes for Jake Paul over Mystery Brand scam Today 11:34 AM
- Why ‘I never thought of it like that’ can actually be deeply offensive Today 11:26 AM
- Save 40% on the Fire TV Stick 4K when you rent textbooks through Amazon Today 11:05 AM
- Netflix reportedly used real disaster footage in ‘Bird Box’ Today 10:53 AM
- Holocaust denier Chuck Johnson spotted with 2 congressmen in Capitol Today 10:30 AM
- YouTuber who made popular Darth Vader fan film prevails in copyright fight Today 10:09 AM
- Mariah Carey says she ‘doesn’t acknowledge time’ in her 10-year challenge photos Today 10:06 AM
- Beto O’Rourke under fire for supporting controversial Thin Blue Line Act Today 9:26 AM
- These surreal ‘logo misuse’ sections are hilarious, and they’re going viral Today 9:20 AM
- Senators lose their sh*t over Cardi B shutdown Instagram Today 8:45 AM
- Report: Michael Cohen made fake ‘Women for Cohen’ account that tweeted about how hot he is Today 8:32 AM
- ‘Dragon Ball Super: Broly’ unites fans and critics with major opening Today 8:07 AM
A redditor in Turkey found the greatest Beats by Dre knockoff ever
Beats by Dre headphones are expensive. Fortunately, in Turkey, there’s a man who’s determined to undercut his competition. His name is Steve.
Beats by Dre headphones are sweet, but they cost about a million and forty dollars. It’s outrageous that someone would have to pay as much as hip-hop’s most G-funked doctor expects someone to pay for a set of headphones that can bump that much bass through your body.
Fortunately, in Turkey, there’s a man who’s determined to undercut his competition. His name is Steve.
As redditor Dr_Evil_173 pointed out yesterday, some guy named Steve has developed Sound by Steve, a seemingly identical headphone package that looks, sounds, and feels the same as Dr. Dre’s exorbitantly upscale $299 set. The headphones, which are starting to show up in stores around Europe, according to various citings around the Internet.
No word quite yet on what Dr. Dre thinks of all this imitation and emulation, but it’s safe to say that Steve’s not alone in his efforts. As another redditor explained on Dr_Evil’s thread, there’s actually a whole website dedicated to selling things like knockoff Beats by Dre headphones online: aliexpress.com, a Chinese-based site that promises “smarter shopping” and “better living.”
There, you can get familiar with a brand new pair of MIXR headphones for $20; headphones that also happen to look exactly like Dr. Dre’s namesake product, and, according to 20 submissions of user feedback, come with a “great sound, sturdy build” and solid enough packaging.
If you want something that will really convince others that you’re rolling in money, this pair of “HOT,” “NEW” “S-tudio” headphones goes for $15 a set and even comes with a number six on the earphone—a number that looks an awful lot like Dre’s signature B.
Those suckers are sold under the name Beats by Dr. Dre, which, as they say in certain street markets, is “Same, Same, but Different.” For the best in Beats knockoffs, turn to Sound by Steve. They’re close—maybe not the same, but you won’t have to mortgage your house to take them home.
Photo via Dr_Evil_173/Reddit
Chase Hoffberger reported on YouTube, web culture, and crime for the Daily Dot until 2013, when he joined the Austin Chronicle. Until late 2018, he served as that paper’s news editor and reported on criminal justice and politics.