- Gynecologist explains why garlic shouldn’t go in vaginas Wednesday 7:08 PM
- People on Twitter are posting the 5 weirdest jobs they’ve had for this meme Wednesday 6:48 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11’s Jax ends slavery—and gamers are pissed Wednesday 5:46 PM
- GPS app gave hacker ability to remotely shut off car engines Wednesday 3:58 PM
- Scott Walker wore jeans for sexual assault awareness, and Twitter is reminding him of his misogynist past Wednesday 3:24 PM
- Hacked Lime scooters make sexual comments to riders Wednesday 3:03 PM
- ‘Bonding’ squanders its potential with weak jokes and limp structure Wednesday 2:49 PM
- The safest place for ‘Game of Thrones’ memes is in the crypts Wednesday 2:23 PM
- Report: Fortnite developer Epic Games is working employees into the ground Wednesday 1:57 PM
- Damian Lillard’s game-winning 3-pointer inspired a plethora of memes Wednesday 12:17 PM
- Gamers are blaming socialism for making the women in Mortal Kombat ‘ugly’ Wednesday 11:36 AM
- Nickelodeon is selling SpongeBob toys based on popular memes Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Alex Jones protests outside the White House by shouting the name of his website Wednesday 11:13 AM
- ‘I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson’ has an absurd conclusion for every scenario Wednesday 10:52 AM
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it Wednesday 10:43 AM
Can the Community actress do no wrong?
Alison Brie’s an Internet darling.
The Community and Mad Men actress’s expressive, upbeat reactions and gestures certainly make her more GIF-able than most.
Comedian Paul F. Tompkins put her to the test on his YouTube series, Speakeasy. Along with a straight-up interview, Tompkins asked Brie to recreate some famous memes.
It’s great stuff, but just how well does Brie ape Grumpy Cat and Unflattering Beyonce? Let’s break it down.
Grumpy Cat – 8.1
A dead on impression of Grumpy Cat. However, Brie failed to turn her head slightly to the right.
Overly Attached Girlfriend – 9.2
This is uncanny and quite frankly terrifying. Brie nails Overly Attached Girlfriend’s creepy grin.
Ermahgerd – 6.8
Brie really sells it by holding her hair up as though it was in pigtails.
Unflattering Beyonce – 5.9
Despite Beyonce’s best efforts to have an unflattering photo of her at this year’s Superbowl scrubbed from the Internet, it’s still everywhere. Brie doesn’t quite match Bey’s grimace, but it’s certainly not a flattering expression.
Hadouken/Dragonball – 7.6
The greatest meme of the year shows people pretending to be struck by a fireball à la the Street Fighter series (in which case the meme is called Hadouken) or by a shockwave attack (from Dragonball Z hence it being called Dragonball). In any case, Brie is pretty game in taking the “hit,” even if she didn’t stick the landing.
In a second clip, Tompkins urged Brie to carry out some menial tasks to create “unsexy GIFs” to counter many of the more lascivious ones of her on the Internet.
Sure enough, her fans in the r/alisonbrie section of Reddit made GIFs from that video.
GIF via Reddit
Posing for silly GIFs after singing a song about weed? It’s almost as if Brie was made for Reddit.
Photo via MadeManDotCom/YouTube
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.